Extra Open University course or include an extra cert (MCDST)

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by jo74, Sep 4, 2009.

1. jo74

jo74 Byte Poster

I'm about to start some OU courses, and I'm pondering whether to either include another one or the MCDST.

I have to admit, rather shamefacedly :oops:, that I do sometimes have a bit of snobbery when it comes to OU versus IT certs. Well, the OU is University level :biggrin.

Bearing in mind I've no experience and I'm still searching for that elusive first job.

I did post a similar question about how employers would view a job candidate with OU course passes on their CV

http://www.certforums.co.uk/forums/thread35066.html

But would the MCDST give me more of an advantage than a non-computing OU course (it'll be a Maths course if I choose an extra one)

Certifications: A+, N+, Sec+
    WIP: CCENT, CCNA
  2. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Err, depends on what you're studying surely - the OU offers many types of course, not all are at degree level or higher

As to how your CV is viewed, depends on what you put, how you bring out experience (or enthusiasm) and what the position you're going for requires

MCDST won't necessarily help if you've absolutely no experience to back it up at all

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  3. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

The distinction that you have to make is that the OU is educational - that is to say it teaches you stuff you don't know.
    IT certs validate knowledge that you already have.
    So if you don't have any prior knowledge, go for education.

I know it can be a bit confusing sometimes, because of course it is possible to study for a cert in the same way that you can study an OU course...

:blink

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD