Export Names From MS-Word To MS-Access

Discussion in 'Software' started by Professor-Falken, Aug 17, 2005.

1. Professor-Falken

Professor-Falken Kilobyte Poster

I want to export a list of names I have in MS-Word into an Access database does anyone know how I can do this.

Thanks

Professor Falken!

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia Network +
  2. Weemez

Weemez Kilobyte Poster

I think it goes the other way around, you want to import them from Word to Access using Access to do the job.

Certifications: HNC Computing A+ N+ ICND1
    WIP: ICND2
  3. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I think Weemez is correct. I'm no Access expert but I think you could just open Access, click File and then click Get External Data. Click Import. Your My Documents box should open. From there, you can navagate to the Word list you want to import.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  4. Weemez

Weemez Kilobyte Poster

thanks Trip that sounds like it, its been a little while since i've done it but what you say sounds good.

Certifications: HNC Computing A+ N+ ICND1
    WIP: ICND2
  5. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

Do you have an existing database you're trying to put the names in, or are you wanting to put them in a brand new database? If the first, you need to move the list from a Word file into an Excel file and then you should be able to import that into Access. It's the correct file format for Access to read. If the second, you have to create a database with the tables and fields you need and then go the Excel route.

If you don't know how, Access, Word, and Excel all have good help sections. A forum like this isn't a good format for teaching you how to do every task you run across. It's a good way to point you in the right direction, but not for a step-by-step tutorial.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  6. Professor-Falken

Professor-Falken Kilobyte Poster

I got this error when trying import a MS Word file into Access could any give me some ideas on what I should do next.
    I am sure that the file is there in that directory.

The Microsoft Jet Engine Could Not Find The Object C:\My Documents\Work\Phonenumber.plain.txt Make sure the object exists and that you spell its name and the path name correctly.

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia Network +
  7. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

a txt file isnt a word file
    try as others have suggested and copy it to excel then try the import from a .xls file

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0