explosions in London

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Arroryn, Jul 7, 2005.

1. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

There have been reports for the BBC on an explosion on the London Underground, which has been closed down. This has been blamed on a power surge.

There have also been three separate reports of explosions on buses across the city.

The BBC news website is freezing up. But phone lines to London are operational. :x :cry:

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  2. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

the full stroy is here...havent we heard from Phoenix yet?
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/4659093.stm

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  3. Arroryn

Haven't seen him on yet.

At least 20 dead, six separate explosions.

PM is going to make a televised statement at midday.

4. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

I reckon its either to do with the G8 summit or the fact London won the Olympics hosting ceremony...but either way is it really worth the lives of innocent civilians?

5. Arroryn

Never. If it was the G8, I would have thought it would have been in Edinburgh. I think it's a reaction to the Olympics - if it was a bid to cause chaos and, forbid the thought, kill innocent people, then the weekend - Wimbledon, Hyde Park, cricket final - it would have been armageddon.

6. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

Erm so far only 2 confirmed dead guys, not 20
    6 explosions confirmed at various tube stations, although most of them have been attributed to power surges caused by an initial surge caused possibly by an explosive device, 1 on a bus, although reports of upto 5 buses have been rumoured

Buses in central london have been suspended, along with half the city being un navigatable due to the police cordens around the affected areas

the tube network is closed
    most train lines are terminating services to the capital, many ending as far out as watford and croydon

There is speculation of a 'massive terrorist plot' but were not sure how likely that is yet,

so far the main problem has been logistical, with londons ability to move people seriously hampered, phone networks are also buckling with the load, as many of them dedicated bandwidth to emergancy services

I think people here have gotten a bit complaicent, this is nothing compared to some of the IRA attacks of old, i guess people here just forget pretty fast, London should get back on its feet pretty fast but my thoughts go out to those directly effected in the blasts

It's wierd, its been the first real attack on london since 9/11, as the IRA have been pretty inactive since the good friday agreement, and the response is totally different than it ever was, the mass FUD thats been spread has caused a bit of hysteria here and i doubt thats helping anybody

I'll keep ya posted..

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  7. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

thanks Ryan at least we know your ok tho..

8. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

Most likely is to do with the G8 + Iraq...why? All the leaders are in one place but security in Edinburgh will be tight as a ducks a*se, this takes the focus or security attention from London...In other words London becomes a much easier target then Edinburgh...the chaos is for all the leaders to see!

Nothing to do with the Olympics in my opinion. No way could they have planned all this from yesterdays Olympic announcement...just a coincedence. This has been carefully planned most likely before Live 8 was announced...However, they would have known about the G8 well in advance!

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...
  9. drum_dude

Here here...what chance have they (terrorists/nutters) got? Even the German Luftwaffe couldn't beat the city into submission!

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
  10. Arroryn

Glad you're ok Phoenix - thanks for the update - but talk about stoking hysteria...

Live statement from Tony Blair saying it's terrorist. One Iraq group has claimed it's Al Quaeda linked just recently.

I'd rather believe it were linked to power surges. Can't believe people do this kind of thing.

11. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

well I for one am not surprised. I always knew it would happen at some point...just a question of when really...I think its about time Mr Blair got this situation seriously under control before other parts of the UK are hit just as bad...cos he dont it will happen.

12. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

It's likely when the casualty report comes in from the Bus blast more will be dead, the bus was supposedly packed (not suprising for a london bus going through holborn in rush hour) and the fact half of its missing kind of gives that impression

The PMs flying down to meet with some folks before returning to the G8, hopfully they will start updating us quicker, i mean how long does it take to look at whats left of a bus and say 'err yeah 2 buses have been blown up now'

:/

13. lokideviluk

lokideviluk Bit Poster

The thing has got me is that whilst the Bus thing did obviously kill a bunch of people, (literally ripped apart) Generally speaking this attack really didnt kill that many people, What it did do was bring all transport in and out of London to a grinding halt so perhaps their was an alterior motive.

We are trying a known terror protagnist tomorrow whom is known to have links to Al Queda so I'd imagine it has something to do with that.

WIP: CIW Master Web Manager
  14. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

IMHO, it's not as much of a surprise as you might think that "they" (whoever) hit London today - the entire security focus of the UK is on Gleneagles, no one expects a hit elsewhere. Seems like a backdoor attack, hopefully with no great ulterior motives. Who knows - early days yet, as always ...

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  15. lokideviluk

lokideviluk Bit Poster

Current figures

120 injured
    20 dead

WIP: CIW Master Web Manager
  16. Sarah

Sarah Byte Poster

It's awfull :cry:

17. drum_dude

lokideviluk, can u quote the source of your figures please? Phoenix says 2 dead, the police aren't commenting and the media are, as usual, speculating like hell.

18. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

still not sure where all these dead figures are coming from
    BBC News and Sky news are still reporting 2 confirmed, as well as the radio stations were tuned to here
    im sure it will rise, but not sure where the figure '20' is being thrown about from

19. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

BBC NEWS

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  20. Sarah

Sarah Byte Poster