Explore.exe

Discussion in 'Software' started by kat731, Aug 26, 2008.

1. kat731
    Honorary Member

kat731 Megabyte Poster

Hi all,

Having problems with my HP Pavillion DV6000. Everything was fine saturday morning, then it just started hanging, no response. Shut it down, on restart tried IE and it hangs again. Used another machine to Google and found similar probs. End Explorer.Exe in task manager, ok, great, as soon as you do that the web comes up but the desktop and taskbar disappears!! Did my scans-clean.. Tried the 932406 patch from M$, still doing it. Could it be a Vista update prob? Might try SFC later!! Really annoying!:x
    Any thoughts?

Hope all are well!

Kat

Certifications: BA (Hons), A+
    WIP: 70-685 77-884
  2. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

Hi kat,
    The best thing to do here is to use System Restore to restore your computer to an earlier timeframe (as its likely a new installation/malware is causing your OS to hang).

Firstly - The process should be called "explorer.exe". (If it's not then you're most likely infected with some kind of malware. See here for removal instructions if thats the case) If you end it then your taskbar WILL disappear. To restore it go to Task Manager -> Applications Tab -> New Task Button -> Type in "explorer.exe" and hit enter. The taskbar will then re-appear.

If it is explorer.exe then follow these instructions:-

• Reboot the computer and hit F8 repeatedly until you get a list of options.
    • Choose Safe Mode from the list.
    • Once inside Windows you'll be prompted to start System Restore - do so.
    • Choose a Restore point a couple of days ago or so (prior to installing the latest piece of software on the computer).
    • Let it finish.
    • Reboot.

This should resolve it. I'd recommend doing a ScanDisk run (you can also do this inside safe mode if you wish) and Anti-Malware scan also.

If this fails then I'd repair Windows:-

Option 1 - Use your HP recovery disks. Reboot to said disk and follow the prompts. (backup your imporant files in safe mode first though)

Option 2
    - Use your Windows XP Disc

Reboot to the Windows CD (you'll get a 'hit any key to boot to cd' prompt prior to windows splash screen) and use the Repair option.

A full guide to this can be found - here

Let us know how it goes and if we can be of any further help. :)

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  3. Mathematix

Mathematix Megabyte Poster

I had this problem a while back and it turned out to be an app that I installed that altered my shell. Download Shell Extension View and use as explained on the site. :)

Certifications: BSc(Hons) Comp Sci, BCS Award of Merit
    WIP: Not doing certs. Computer geek.
  4. kat731
    Honorary Member

kat731 Megabyte Poster

Thanks guys,
    will try and report back.

Kat

Certifications: BA (Hons), A+
    WIP: 70-685 77-884