Experiment: A+ QOTD for June 17th

Discussion in 'A+' started by tripwire45, Jun 17, 2004.

1. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I've been toying with doing an A+ QOTD for awhile but wasn't sure that I had the time to devote to it. Anyway, I decided to give it a whirl. If it turns out I can't maintain it, I'll probably have to discontinue it, but it seems like it would be pretty useful.

I'm adapting the questions for an A+ test bank I did for a writing project so I do have a database available to me. The names in the scenarios are actual members of another cert forum. If you'd like me to include your real names (I've seen other authors do it...it's kind of fun) in my QOTDs, PM me and let me know.

Anyway, here's the first one. Enjoy.

Viyera Jacquard has just installed a new CD-RW into her desktop computer and now cannot find its drive letter listed in Windows Explorer. What would be the appropriate troubleshooting step in this situation for her to take? Select one answer.

A. Use a virus scanner and look for a drive sector virus.
    B. If booting from a Windows 9x start up disk, check the drivers including entries in config.sys, autoexec.bat, and mscdek.ink.
    C. Check and see if the stripe on the data cable correctly aligned with pin 1.
    D. Check and see if the SCSI connection on the motherboard has been disabled in the CMOS setup.

Answer later.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  2. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

i'd be tempted to either go for B or C. both are valid i suppose, but since b is booting from a start-up disk, i'll go for

C: check the cable is correctly alligned.

Fergal

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  3. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Good idea Trip - be nice if you could do it.

Oh yeah - the question ?
    Answer: C Check the cable.

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  4. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Yeah I was stuck between both B and C but I then realised the first thing I would have done was turn off the PC (poor girl) then check the cabling. its standard procedure I suppose....

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  5. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

so yeah C is then answer...how could I leave that one out? :eek:

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  6. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Nice, I'll go for C.

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  7. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Since I put this one up late (in your day, at least), I'll leave it up for awhile before divulging the correct answer. I have written several others that will take us into next week. I keep a folder of each QOTD for each section (wireless, 70-294, and A+ Hardware) in word files so that they aren't just saved in the forum database. Eventually, we could create our own mock tests for publication on the forum.

8. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Ok, well I guess that's enough time...especially since you're all going to be "chatting" for awhile yet. Correct answer is C. Always check the connections first thing if a hardware install seems to go bad. More later.