Experiences on Emigrating

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by michael78, Aug 17, 2004.

1. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

This is work related. I jus wanted peoples experiences on emigrating. I've been thinking about moving to Canada from the UK for sometime now and getting work as a systems engineer which is what I do now. Just a few questions:

1) How hard was the procedure and how hard was it also how long did it take.
    2) How long did it take to settle
    3) Is it expensive
    4) Can you get dual passports
    5) Do you have any regrets

I know some of the questions are a bit daft but I really don't have a clue. I would really like peoples opinions on this...:)

Slypie

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  2. punkboy101
    Honorary Member

punkboy101 Back from the wilderness

Hi Slypie

I can't really answer all your questions, but I'll give it a go!

1. I don't know how easy it will be for you to get into the country. Do you have relatives or friends here? Cause it can be easier if you do, and the offer to sponsor you. By sponsor, I mean that if for whatever reason, you can't get a job, the will help support you, as you won't be able to collect welfare (the dole) right away.

2. To tell you the truth, I'm still settling. Its a huge culture shock when you first get her. the people are different,
    the social scene is different, not much at all is the same as the UK. If you like and adapt to change well, then you'll be
    fine. If you don't really enjoy change, like me, it could take a while.

3. Canada compared to the UK is pretty cheap. The exchange rate is roughly $2.50 Cdn to 1 Pound (Sorry, Canadain Keyboard, no pound sign) so save up some pennies before you come, and you'll be laughing. :biggrin

4. IYes you can, shouldn't be a problem, but you'll have to be here a while before you can apply.

5. Yes, I do have regret's, but nothing too major. I'm glad I made the move, and I like it here more everyday. Canada is
    a great country to live in, just like England. There's good and bad too both. I say go for it! the IT industry is
    really starting to pick up here, and if your in the right place, you can land the perfect dream job. Note: Don't hold me responsible if this doesn't happen. lol :D

Whare are you planning to move to anyway, Canada is a big place! Anymore questions, or you want more info on anything, reply to this post, email or PM me. :)

HTH

Andy

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: Nada