EXPERIENCE

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by greenbrucelee, Dec 11, 2007.

1. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

With all this talk of experience being the main focus for progressing or even getting into IT, how do you guys see mine.

Currently in my job: I work in a department that has 7 win2k3 servers, I have to monitor the workflow through these servers and if any go down implement the failover procedures.

We use a system called print express which handles pdf workflow and flight checking software (I work for a newspaper). We use 3 RIPs which handle the PDF workflow from Print express and in the event of the main license server going down (which basically stops everything) I am to be able to go into the server room and restart the services (appletalk etc), if needed to. (I usually work at night when no IT staff are here, so I have a key fob to let me in)

If it is a major failure with print express 1 (main license server) I can failover to print express 2 which normally handles things like page proofing and web proofing. This involves moving the number of active processes from print express to 2 and getting the inactive processes on one to become active on 2.

Other IT related stuff I do is a weekly backup of the page pairing configurations incase of a failover and remapping drives.

At home I have done the usual stuff, upgrades, installations etc etc

My question is how much of this can I count as real IT experience?

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

What you can do... is what you have experience doing. It's more of an "ability" than a "time served" sort of thing. Sure, employers ask for x years of experience... because that's all they have to go on. Everyone's different. It doesn't have to be complicated - simply apply for jobs that you have a decent chance of getting.... which tend to be jobs where you have some experience doing those sort of tasks.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. greenbrucelee

So I should be applying for jobs which have a similar set of objectives to what I do now?

4. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Yep! a lot of what you do on a day to day basis counts as experience. Don't forget your training as well including what you've learnt from cert in terms of the labs and how you can see yourself putting those to work in a work environment.

Please, don't sell yourself short, so start looking for 1st line helpdesk support roles.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  5. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Definitely worth noting on your CV. Would help for a 1st line support job. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  6. greenbrucelee

cheers mate, I applied for a trainee IT admin the other month, had two interviews for it but was knocked back because they said I was too knowledgable to be a trainee..

What about systems/network admin jobs or is that too advanced?

7. BosonMichael

Similar, or slightly more advanced (though competition can be fierce for more advanced jobs if you don't match up well against them). If it's a job with a similar set of objectives to what you're already doing, then it should be for a job that provides you better opportunity for experience, growth, and advancement.

I'd recommend 1st line, desktop support, etc. If you can get 2nd line or a junior systems admin job, then good on ya! But be patient, and don't try to bite off more than you can chew. One step at a time. :) You will eventually make it to the top!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  8. greenbrucelee

I know I need to start somewhere but systems admin is where I would like to be, because of my location it looks like I will have to move unless I can get something here so I need to wait untill after March for that, If I don't or can't find a junior system admin job then I will go for 1st line support.

9. Sparky

Hmmm, difficult one. Do you get to do any AD, Exchange admin or directory permissions?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  10. greenbrucelee

I have full access to the network permissions on the part that directly relates to my department, ie read-write-allow change etc but not on the whole of the companies network.

I dont use AD or exchange.

11. Sparky

Network admin jobs (for Windows domains) will require you to have some experience of these areas.

If you complete the A+, add the Network+ to it, and put your IT experience on your CV you should have enough to be considered for an entry level IT job. I know you said there is FA where you live but you may have to move if you want to get a break in IT.

How many IT guys look after your current IT infrastructure?

12. greenbrucelee

2 Guys and 1 Girl who was in the opposit class as me at Uni.

13. Sparky

For 7 servers! :eek: Thought it would be one person tops.

14. greenbrucelee

no that is for the whole Carlisle side of the company which is about 500 users, the 7 servers is just for my room.

I do what I can do before calling IT because I mainly work at night and there is no IT people around, they are on call but I am expected to sort it out if I can.

15. BosonMichael

I'd *like* to be a CIO somewhere (or own my own multi-million-dollar practice exam company)... but we all have to work our way up, don't we? :)

You're getting there, man. :)

16. greenbrucelee

Cheers mate :)

17. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Actually, here in the UK, asking for x years experience is a breach of age discrimination laws, as it discriminates against younger people. They are permitted to ask for experience in x technology, etc, but not really for x years.

Just to complicate my point a little. Thats actually something of a lie. They can ask for x years experience, but it has to be really justified before they can do it, and its quite a difficult area, so its generally avoided at all costs. Any hint that the reason is not acceptable, and they can be taken to task over it. Also, whilst UK law denies companies the right to know your age whilst you are applying for a job, overseas jobs are a bit of a loophole. Other countries have different laws concerning age and working, so if you are applying for a job overseas, you may need to provide x years experience, or be in a certain age range.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  18. greenbrucelee

I dont thinks its a breach of any employment laws if they ask for one years experience in administering desktop and network operating systems or something to that effect as long as they explain why, but it is if they say no over 25s please.

19. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Actually, no they cant. Such requests fall into the Age Discrimination laws. Like I said, its only acceptable if an acceptable reason can be provided why 1 year is essential where say 6 months would be unacceptable. Saying why isnt enough, the why has to be fully acceptable as far as the age discrimination laws are concerned. Off the top of my head, I cant think of any reason that would be acceptable. After all, If I have 6 months experience with AD, I may still be ten times better than someone with 2 years experience.

Trust me, I had to do a course on just this at my last work when the new laws went into effect. And my other half works in recruitment.

Edit: its also dangerous ground to be using words that imply an age, such as 'mature', even 'dynamic' is touchy.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present