.exe files

Discussion in 'Software' started by AJ, Dec 3, 2005.

1. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Does anyone know a method of stopping users saving .exe files to either their roaming profile or home folder. The little darling at school are getting small games and renaming them to notepad.exe so that they will run.

We use AD to only allow certain applications from running.

Any help gratefully received

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

At our school I regullarly remove these types of files from students accounts.

Go to a CMD Prompt, navigate to the folder the students data is stored, assuming it's all in one location then type:

del *.exe /f/s/q

This removes all exe's from the students profiles and data.

I also run the same command but with *.zip and *.txt.

They way I see it is they have no reason to have any of these in their accounts (the .txt's clears out the cookies).

8)

EDIT: I know it's not what you're looking for but it's the best I can do at my place.

3. AJ

Thanks Simon. Now how to make this into a logoff script !!!!

4. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

lol that is excellent, don't ya just love 'em :twisted:

How are they getting the *.exe's onto the network in the first place?

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  5. AJ

A very good question Pete and worthy of an answer. USB memory stick, their own lappies, floppies, from each other, the list goes on.

6. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Hmmm, I guess you can't have much control over their personal laptops. Do you have a policy that makes it *clear* to the kids they are not allowed to copy potentially damaging files such as executable programs onto the network?

7. AJ

We sure do, but when do kids ever take notice of an Acceptable Use Policy??

8. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

how about giving any kids found doing this a sound hiding? in full view of the rest of the school too. that'll put a stop to it :lol:

i wouldnt delete .txts myself. many people (myself included) use .txt files to make quick notes, since it loads faster than word, and is a lot less hassle.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  9. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

You obviously don't work in a school do you fergal! :ohmy

One of the reasons fro me deleting the .txt files is that is one of the ways that students get round with games, they will rename the file to a .txt file and hope it is safe until they next want to use it, at which point they rename it again.

Sneaky little buggers kids! :biggrin

10. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

funny thing is I use to do that when I was at college...its how it all started for me...like recently I downloaded a file that ended in .img and since I dont have a program that burns .img files I renamed it to .iso and hey presto was able to burn the file using Nero...isnt it amazing when you remember things like that? at first I thought it wouldnt work but it did! but these days kids are certainly catching up and getting smarter....I agree with Fergal give them a reasonable hiding :twisted:

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  11. Fergal1982

could you not set it to delete any .txt files over a reasonable size (30K maybe?). After all, above that limit is too large for a txt file, and if they are actually using it for text, then they need to wise up. beyond a reasonable size they should be using word, etc.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
  12. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

I think Fergal has a good idea, only to start with I'd move their files to another folder that they don't have access to just in case it is a needed file. That way the file is recoverable if it is actually a needed, legitimate file. Then I'd write a script to just delete everything out of that storage a folder once a semester or once a quarter.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  13. AJ

Hmm like that idea, although moving the files into another folder could cause a few probs unless they all have their own folders. With over 1000 pupils this could be a headache.

Can someone tell me if you can use the delete, move or xcopy using a unc path

example: del \\server1\home_folder\*.exe

or does it need yo be an absolute path to include a drive letter?

14. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

I just tried a test on that (using a valid unc path and file) and no joy, the network path was not found.

15. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

Yeah, I keep forgetting you're using Windows, not Linux. If you used a Samba server as your file server you could move the files to a common directory and search for them by file owner name and filename if you needed to find a file moved from a specific user's /home folder. Here's how it would work in Linux: ls -al | grep 'user_name' | grep 'filename'.

You could find any file moved from any user's home folder in a matter of seconds.

The same thing can be accomplished in vbscript too, only it takes a lot more of a script to do the job.

EDIT: The ls command above is how it would be written if you had used the "cd" command to enter the directory holding the files. Run from another directory it would be "ls -al /path/to/directory | grep 'user_name' | grep 'filename'.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  16. Fergal1982

Dont you guys back up your systems? If not, why not? and if so, then there you go, if they have a file that is genuine, you restore from backup, verify, and return to the student.

Fergal