Exchange Interview Questions..

Discussion in 'Exchange Exams' started by stolenblessing, Aug 24, 2009.

1. stolenblessing

stolenblessing Nibble Poster

Hi,

I am planning to apply for Exchange Admin position..

Please update about the questions being asked in an interview.

Thanks.

Regards,

Asrar

Certifications: CCNA, MCP (70-290)
    WIP: 70-291
  2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

:blink :eh

Do you actually work with Exchange first of all? If you do, then you already should know the answers and some of the basic questions.

Questions on installation.. Eg How do you install it?
    Question on migration... Eg How do you migrate Exchange from 2000/2003 to 2007?
    Question on maintaining... Eg How would do backup and restore Exchange? How do you create users for Exchange?
    Question on redundancy... Eg How do you/would you set up redundancy on Exchange?
    Questions on integration... Eg How would you run to existing systems together?
    Questions on experience... Eg What problems have you faced and what steps have you taken to solve them?

If you don't already work with Exchange, I would say don't go for it...

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

My psychic abilities aren't working fantastically at the moment so I'll get back to you on this.

In all seriousness I agree with Ken. If you have no prior experience then don't go for the job.

You should have a vauge idea of what they're going to ask if you have the relevant skills and experience they are looking for.

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  4. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Could depend ona variety of things so difficult to pin down.

Size/type of organisation ?

One office or HQ with Branch type setup ?

Do they need all features or just email ?

AV/AS checking etc.

Do you have a job description or are you just making a general enquiry ?

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  5. Shinigami

Shinigami Megabyte Poster

Exchange is not the easiest system out there to manage.

Due to the sensitivity of email and communication in todays world, a messaging system which is down for longer than a few minutes is felt company wide, and when users (and especially their managers) are unable to use email, they complain loud and clear.

I hope you are prepared for the job. When something can go wrong in Exchange, it usually does and in a rather interesting manner (most of which is not too pleasant).

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, MCDST, MOS, CIW, Comptia
    WIP: Win7/Lync2010/MCM
  6. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Do you know about Exchange Routing, what a Bridgehead Server is, what a Routing Group Connector is?

Hows about, configuring a Smart Host, or wanting different Users to be able to send through different Smart Hosts.

What about if the Information Store goes belly up, what would you do to restore it?

What if you wanted to turn off read reciepts internally and externally how would you do this?

What SPAM filtering system could we implement at no cost and why?

How would you find out who we route our emails via for incoming and outgiong mail?

Ton's of questions matey, depends on how the company runs and what there infrastrucutre is.

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  7. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Q) "So stolenblessing, tell me about the exchange experience you have..."

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  8. stolenblessing

stolenblessing Nibble Poster

Honestly speaking, I have no exchange expierence.

But that doesn't mean that I don't know:-
    i) what are exchange recipient types
    What is RUS, what is are address lists,
    What are storage groups, why create multiple storage groups,
    About transaction logs, and offline defragmentation.

I know there is much more in Exchange, ...

Regards,
    Asrar

Certifications: CCNA, MCP (70-290)
    WIP: 70-291
  9. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Well if you're having an interview for an Exchange Admin's job you may struggle with no experience.

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  10. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

If that's the case, then regardless of how well you answer theoretical questions, how do you expect to get the job if even ONE applicant walks through the door with an ounce of Exchange experience?

Experience *always* trumps theoretical knowledge. That may seem unfair to you... but it's the truth for 99% of employers out there.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!