Exchange, Combined Mailboxes Bigger then Priv1?

Discussion in 'Exchange Exams' started by nXPLOSi, Oct 12, 2007.

1. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

Hi Guys,

Just done a defrag on my Exchange Server 2003 after a big clearout at work. The *problem* im having is understand the results. The Priv1.edb and Priv1.stm combined now total around 11.3Gb. When I click into Mailboxes, Export the list and calculate the combined mailboxes size, its up at 13.8Gb.

Shouldn't the Priv1's be slightly larger then the mailstore? I having a hard time getting my head round this, and im new to exchange so perhaps im looking too much into this!

Cheers

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  2. Liqua

Liqua Bit Poster

Could it have anything to do with the way emails are stored when they are sent to multiple people ?

We use Exchange 2000 at work (which should behave similar to 2003) and i'm sure that when I send an email to a distribution group it only stores 1 copy of the email but then sends an email to everyone else and they references that copy.

That could explain why the physical size on the disk is much smaller than the mailbox sixes.

However, my knowledge of exchange is very limited and possibly wrong - it was a long time ago when the exchange admin was explaining things to me when all I wanted to do was play with routers :oops:

Certifications: CCNA, SND, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: CISSP
  3. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Havew you restarted the IS? The store sizes are recalculated when the IS is restarted.

Also, have a look at your Deleted Item Retention - you might have it set for some daft long figure - I don't think (though its yonks since I supported Exchange actively) that deleted item size counts toward the size as seen by the mailbox export stats

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  4. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

Liqua, thats a good call, thinking on that it could very well be that!

Zeb, I have restarted the IS and the deleted retention is default.

It may be a combination of both. I got rid of around 4.5Gb of data, and the mailstore was at 17.5Gb. Minus the 4.5Gb it should then be around 13Gb, whereas its sitting at 11.2Gb to be precise. The mailstore totals 13.4Gb. A gap of around 2.2Gb, it seems alot but maybe im not giving enough credit to multiple emails in the mailboxes, and just the one on the server.

Uhmmm... :(

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  5. ajs1976

ajs1976 Byte Poster

Certifications: MCSE, CCEA, Sec+, L+, N+
    WIP: 2008, CAG, or CCENT (not sure)