Exchange and AD replication

Discussion in 'Exchange Exams' started by Stoney, Apr 19, 2007.

1. Stoney

Stoney Megabyte Poster

Hi,

I just wanted to clarify something regarding Exchange Server 2003. Here goes:

If I have 2 Domain Controllers, DC01 and DC02, and I install Exchange server 2003 on to DC01, Exchange will integrate with Active Directory on DC01.

Will this integration be replicated to DC02? So I can go to DC02 and select a user and perform Exchange type tasks from this domain controller even though Exchange is not installed on the server.

Cheers,

Certifications: 25 + 50 metre front crawl
    WIP: MCSA - Exam 70-270
  2. Tinus1959

Tinus1959 Gigabyte Poster

As far as I know, yes.

Certifications: See my signature
    WIP: MCSD, MCAD, CCNA, CCNP
  3. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Active directory information will replicate to all DC's in the domain, however in order to perform Exchange tasks on the second DC or any admin PC/laptop, you will have to first install the exchange pack/tools (this is on the Exchange CD) onto the DC/admin PC that you want to perform Exchange tasks.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  4. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

You would need to install the Exchange management tools onto the other computer. This "upgrades" the AD U&C mmc to include the exchange bits.

Of course it is not a good idea to install Exchange onto a DC read Daniel Petri for the reasons.

It can be done, or of course use an SBS box.
    HTH

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  5. supag33k

supag33k Kilobyte Poster

Though it is not best practise to place Exchange on a DC it can be done, noting that the link to Petri's knowledge base contains several valid points.

The main objection I think is shutting down and restarting and the box seesm to hang - the solution is to script shutdown for the Exchange services prior to full shut-down.

I have often setup Exchange boxes at remote sites using slower links with the Server also a Dc/Gc due to budget constraints etc.

Just get your milestones right first..such as IP, DNS, and AD - noting that AD integrated helps as you basically have a choice of integrating a timely login with better AD support OR maximising the link capacity for file transfers, user emails and web traffic.

The link to remember is that users will always complain no matter how much of a slow link you give them. So get what you need to keep the network functioning - if the remote office manager complains give him the price of an upgraded WAN link and get him help you obtain approval for a WAN upgrade.

..works for me...and I lower my ongoing support obligations to remote sites.

supa

Certifications: MCSE (NT4/2000/2003/Messaging), MCDBA
    WIP: CCNA, MCTS SQL, Exchange & Security stuff
  6. Stoney

Stoney Megabyte Poster

Thanks for the info guys.

We are planning to remove AD from this Exchange server because we will have a couple of servers available soon. Exchange will be on its own box then.

Not too sure what the best way of doing this will be yet. It appears that the original install was not done very well so it could be a start from scratch job! :eek:

7. Sparky

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Sometimes a rebuild is the best option, how many users are there?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  8. Stoney

Stoney Megabyte Poster

About 50+ users and a handful of admin mailboxes. Not the most complex of Exchange setups i know! :biggrin

9. Sparky

Ahh, that would be a big rebuild though (in terms of the PCs).

Looks like it could be best to demote the domain controller on the Exchange server. Do this out of hours though! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  10. Stoney

Stoney Megabyte Poster

Yeah that's the general plan. Demote the DC and then remove AD.

This DC is also our only DNS server! I was going to put DNS on our 2nd DC, make it the primary DC and Global Catalog, then promote another server to become a DC. Then remove everything off the Exchange box except Exchange (unless things go tits up and it needs re-installing!).

I then need to add a DNS server and AD on the other side of our WAN link at our main office. I should then not have to worry about 1 server falling over and our whole network grinding to a painful halt! lol :blink

11. Sparky

Lots of work there! :biggrin

If you enough resources you might want to run two DCs and have AD integrated zones for DNS. Configure the DNS in the DHCP scope to point at server one and server two.

After that you need to think about what server is going to host the DHCP scope. Might be an option to spilt the scope over the two DCs. If one DC goes down then you still have a DC, DNS and a server that can lease IPs to the PCs.

12. supag33k

supag33k Kilobyte Poster

That is actually a good idea and quite common nowadays to do this for DHCP scopes.

Note that if you have a DC in each office connected via WAN they also should be Global Catalogs so that both logins and stuff like finding email addresses is available quickly at both sites. 8)

Sure the AD replication adds abit for bandwidth, but you are better of providing a resilient AD/DNS offering compared to maximising user bandwidth as no matter how much bandwidth you give users over a WAN..it is NEVER enough...:rolleyes:

Certifications: MCSE (NT4/2000/2003/Messaging), MCDBA
    WIP: CCNA, MCTS SQL, Exchange & Security stuff