EXCEL Spreadsheet Coding

Discussion in 'Software' started by michael78, Mar 30, 2010.

1. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

Guys can anyone help me with this. Been asked to create an Excel spreadsheet and create an imbedded button that you click to import a list of usernames and passwords from one of a dozen log files (all with different names). This then must be checked to see if the password is missing from the username. The log also has loads of other data on each line like date/time etc that would need to be stripped out. I'm really pissed off as I've told them I'm a 2nd line support/systems engineer and don't have any scripting experience and been told to google it :mad. With the complexity would this type of spreadsheet have to be done via VB script or could it be done with Macros alone?

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  2. Atiaran

Atiaran Bit Poster

http://www.excelforum.com/

Really useful and some excel whizz kids on there!!

~Ati~

Certifications: None
    WIP: MCDST
  3. michael78

Cheers for the tip mate. Off to check it out.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
  4. UncleBeard

UncleBeard Nibble Poster

There is another way to do it if you don't know Excel VBA, which I think could be slightly easier to pick up for just about anybody.

AutoIt is a scripting language that can do just about anything windows related from playing back a sequence of keystrokes as if you were typing them in on the keyboard to a full Windows Gui program. It also includes Excel and Word functions for creating, amending and saving documents.

It's very easy to produce a standalone EXE file which when run can prompt for the name of the log file to open, and once one is selected copy as much or as little of the file into Excel.

As I said, it's another possibility for you if you end up having to do something yourself.

Certifications: MOS 2003, 2007 and 2010, Master 2003, 2007 and 2010, MMI 2003, MCT, ITIL Foundation
  5. michael78

Sounds handy, but alas I can't use it as I work in a secure environment for the MOD. I'll have a look just for my own use down the line.