Exams...second job needed.

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by noelg24, Jul 19, 2004.

1. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

So I gathered that since I am going to pay for these exams at £100 a piece I have decided to get another job cos I the one I am doing is just not bringing enough money4me2save up for them. and it dont help much when me and Lou are going to Grimsby in Sept to see her friends and family (again!!) so I need to save up for that! Damn life is so hard and such a b**ch aswell. anyway I have job interview for a bar work in a nightclub this evening. its only asking for 2 nites a week but im hoping I get 3. but hey this is what life is all about. as for my girlfriend she aint got any qualifications or certifications to her name and yet she's working in the IT department dealing with Software Applications :eek: I mean did I miss something along the way when I was born? anyway enough complaining from me...here's to hoping muggins gets the bar job or life as we know it will cease to exist. just read my signature and you'll see why I am going nuts here.

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  2. mattwest

mattwest Megabyte Poster

Hey

I work in IT, have done since i was 18, i'm now 23....

For the past 4 years i've been working in a nightclub doing bar work.

Regular bar staff get £6 an hour here and i get £8.50 as i'm a bar manager. It really does make life a bit easier to have a another source of income, especially with the exams being so pricey!

Also your find bar work will improve your communication and people skills, as well as confidence in general.

I've stuck at it for 4 years, and although i have recently reduced my hours from 8 nights per month to 5, its done me good.

I've completed 1 of 2 units of the new door supervisors course (for free!:D ) and the added life experience can do nothing but help your CV.

Employers like people skills :)
    Good luck!!

Certifications: See my signature...
    WIP: Maybe re-certify my CCNA
  3. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

nice one matt, ive found most the years I have been in IT I have never had the time for a second job being i tend to burn 70 hour weeks :)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  4. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

I'd rather be doing 70hour a week with PCs than having a second job alongside working in a call centre where customers complain about faulty phones.

5. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

heh i hear you mate
    might of had something to do with the 3 21" LCDs on my desk and the 40" plasma with mtv 3 feet away, ;)
    easily pleased i guess
    lol

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  6. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Sometimes I just never understand women :x last week I told Lou I may not be able to pay for my exams what with us always going to Newcastle every 3 weeks to see my little boy and then one of her friends is coming to aberdeen next month and then we're going to Grimsby in September for a week and at this rate I wont be able to afford them til next year.:eek: and she then tells me to get a second job. so I went for a job interview last nite for a bar job and they said they will get in touch with later this week (I aint holding me breath). however what makes me so mad about the whole thing is that she decideds to lend me £100 to pay for one of the exams saying I may not be able to pay for it til next year what with all these place we're going to!!! I mean what cheek is that? I was the one who told her I wont be able to pay for them til next year then she tells me to get a second job, I go4the interview and await the verdict and she has the odassity to lend me £100!!! I did accept it last nite but today I am having second thoughts. I want to know what would you guys do if you were in that situation? I just think its unfair that she has done this. first she has a go at me for not getting a second job and when I do she then decides to lend me money to pay for my exams. Thanks but no thanks.

7. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

OK first she tells you to get a second job, not so good on the surfaqce but it looks like she went away and thought about it and is trying to be (a bit) supportive and help you out. Take the money, do the exam and pass and go home and thank her for being so supportive. I wish my wife was like that. Whenever I need to do something I need to do it late at night on my own time. She doesn't see it as learning, just as playing around.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  8. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Words of wisdom from the Certforums Sage Nugget, All Hail the Nugget (and the VB)

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  9. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Thanks Nugg but there are times where I think why is she doing this to me? First telling me to get a second job which I know I need to do then giving me £100 towards the exam. its as if she realises she feels sorry for me...or maybe there's something she aint telling me! But if you say to take the money and go ahead with it then I will. I do feel confident I can pass the exams..I mean at the end of the day I didnt buy the book for £40 for nothing. Thanks Nugg.

VB for ya mate *toss* 8)

10. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

I cant see what your complaining about, you should spend the money on some new trousers as she's obviously wearing yours. (pulling your leg BTW) :biggrin :rolleyes:

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  11. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

You are *so* dead when Rosy sees this, you incredibly macho dude, you. :biggrin

I agree with the others. She told you to get a 2nd job then obviously had second thoughts, knows how much you are trying to achieve your goals, and decided to be nice and help you out. Just give her a kiss and a hug and tell her she's the greatest. After all, plenty of girlfriends and wives would've told you to just go pound sand.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  12. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

:iagree

My wife is exactly the same. Take the dosh cause in the long run it will benifit you both.

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  13. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Nah, Si's right - go buy new trousers :biggrin

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  14. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

[​IMG]

I see *you're* asking for it as well. :blink :biggrin

15. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Now Trip - why would you happen to have a pic like that too hand, my friend ? :hhhmmm

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  16. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Ever since I discovered how to insert images it's been sort of a....calling. :biggrin
    [​IMG]

17. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

NoelG24 I've noticed your doing your A+ for WIP. I used a site called examvouchers.com to get discounted vouchers for my A+ and Netrwork+ (They also do some more vouchers though not Microsoft ones :( ) Instead of paying £100 for each of the A+ exams I paid around £66 each. As for my Network+ I paid £96 instead of £150 (Think thats the price for the Network+ exam).

You have to buy the vouchers in $ but you can use them anywhere in the world. They also have a section for US vouchers only so make sure you buy the worldwide vouchers and not the US ones. They are pretty good and I was a bit worried using them in case they were not legit but I've bought my A+ and Network+ vouchers through them without any problems.

I think I will post a seperate post to this to tell people about them to save money. I don't know if I'm allowed to advertise on the board (Though I don't have anything to do with the company I just want to help people save money as CompTIA are a tad on the expensive side).

Hope this helps...:biggrin

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  18. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Thanks mate I will bear it in mind...thats what I have been wanting to hear...:D

19. punkboy101
    Honorary Member

punkboy101 Back from the wilderness

Hey Slypie, I notice your doing your MCSA/E, and I'm not sure what book's you are using to study, but the study I bought comes with 15% off of the exams. Not sure if you were looking to get money off vouchers for any of the MS exams, just a heads up to let you know they are available (only if you buy the right kit tho:( ).

Andy

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: Nada
  20. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

I went to the site and registered Sylpie...but we have a minor problem...u forgot to mention this voucher only works for VUE test centres and now Prometric test centres and there aint a VUE test centre in Aberdeen..they do have a VUE cinema but I dont think that falls in the same category. but thanks all the same mate...looks like it'll be £200 altogether for me then...now where's Lou's credit card.....?