Exams - Both at the same time or individually?

Discussion in 'A+' started by Killian, Jun 11, 2008.

1. Killian

Killian Byte Poster

Hi guys,

Just a quick query from me. I've decided for a career change and as a result have set myself of achieving the A+ certification over the upcoming months. My question is, would I be better off sitting the essentials one day, leaving it a few days, and then sitting the technician exam or is it pretty much a good idea to do them both on the same day as they are so similiar (just weighted differently)?

Certifications: See sig.
    WIP: Everything!
  2. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

They are different, as you see as you learn more about the subject. Personally, I would shy away from taking both on the same day. I did mine one day after the other. With hindsight, I might have been better to give myself a little longer between them both.

3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I did both on the same day, although I just passed essentials I aced the 220-602. Maybe if I had left it a couple of days in between I would have done better on the essentials exam, but I still passed and a pass is a pass.

If you can handle the pressure you should be ok with both on the same day.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

That largely depends on you and the material that you study. The A+ AIO 6th Edition doesn't really break things down into 220-601 and 220-602 sections very cleanly, and in truth, there is a bit of overlap between the two exams.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. Adrian.Popescu

Adrian.Popescu Byte Poster

I am currently studying A+ and have been advised to leave about a week between the two. It all depends how confident you are but i think it is a good idea have some space....just in case you become a little paranoid it gives you more study time :D Good luck anyway!

Certifications: City&Guild's Level2&3, CompTIA A&N+, MCP
    WIP: MCDST
  6. disarm

disarm Byte Poster

I would be careful as if you fail one it might knock your confidence for the other.

7. BosonMichael

Excellent point to consider!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  8. Adrian.Popescu

Adrian.Popescu Byte Poster

Very good point

Certifications: City&Guild's Level2&3, CompTIA A&N+, MCP
    WIP: MCDST
  9. greenbrucelee

just to add I wont do it for any other certs that have more than one exam like the MCDST.

I did it on the A+ because I had such a long time before I financially solvent that I kept on reading the books I had over and over until I had the money to spare for them and since my nearest test centre is 58 miles away I thought I'd just do the two on the same day.

10. Killian

Killian Byte Poster

Just came on here hoping for a couple replies and see alot of people have put their 2 pence in :)

I think I may just go with taking them on seperate days. Am I right in assuming the AIO is ok for the essentials though I may be better off picking up the lab type book (can't think of the name at the mo sorry!) written by one of the guys on here?

Thanks again for the input, the comment about failing one having a knock on effect is one I didn't really consider. Thanks :)

11. BosonMichael

No, you wouldn't be better off picking up PC Technician Street Smarts instead of the AIO... you'd be better off picking up PC Technician Street Smarts in addition to the AIO.

12. Killian

Killian Byte Poster

Sorry, wasn't very clear was I :) I already have the AIO, someone mentioned in one of the earlier threads that the AIO isn't particular focused enough on the 602 though so was worth investing in something else.

Will go for the PC Technician Street Smarts (now I remeber the name! Got nothing to do with your post though...... honestly...... :rolleyes:)

13. greenbrucelee

The AIO is focussed on everything but get PC Technician street smarts and an old PC to mess with, I got both books and an old PC for £80

14. BosonMichael

I'd be surprised if the AIO didn't cover the 602 sufficiently. We're currently writing our ExSim Max product for 602 using the AIO as a reference, and I haven't heard any major complaints from the dev team...

15. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Sounds good to me at £80, not a bad idea dude if I were you:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  16. volatile

volatile Nibble Poster

It really depends on your level of experience/expertise. I went in and did both in under an hour, but I knew much of my stuff before ever opening a book to study for the exam. If you think that's where you are at then you can probably take both at the same time. If this is your technical exam or you don't have much experience then it would probably be wise to break it up into separate days so that you don't overwhelm yourself.

Certifications: Computer Science Degree, A+
  17. Ropenfold

Ropenfold Kilobyte Poster

I did both of the A+ exams in two days back-to-back, I didn't have any problems, As long as you put the work in I can't see why it can't be done.

As GBL stated I don't think it could be done with any other exam, the 2 MCDST exams are different and focus on different things.

Certifications: BSC (Hons), A+, MCDST, N+, 70-270, 98-364, CLF-C01
    WIP: ISC2 CC, Security+