Exam Sims

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by JohnBradbury, Jan 30, 2008.

1. JohnBradbury

JohnBradbury Kilobyte Poster

Okay so it's been about 7-8 years since I sat my last exam and I'm a bit nervous. I've been studying for the 70-290 using the MSPRESS Training Kit, a ton of whitepapers and plenty of lab time.

I've worked with Server 2003 for some time so I'm confident working with the product. It's just these pesky exams that vex me.

Anyhow I'm looking for an exam simulator with the following attributes:

• A realistic exam environment including any new testing technologies [such as adaptive testing, drag n drop, simulations]
    • A wide range of questions
    • The ability to breakdown my final score against the exam objectives. So I know what areas I'll need to work on.

Could anyone offer some advice based on their experiences?

2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I can only respond based on reputation, but Transcenders seems to produce a consistently quality product. Not sure what Boson has available for MS technologies, but I'm sure Michael can answer that one.

The one resource you didn't mention was TechNet. In my opinion, it's an absolutely necessary resource for studying any Microsoft technology. White papers tend to be somewhat high-level and don't really drill down to the level of detail required to really learn a solution.

I'm sure you'll do fine. Good luck. :)

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  3. JohnBradbury

Thanks Trip.

I do use technet quite a bit and have found it useful as part of my study. I'm also a technet direct subscriber which has some great benefits.

I'll take a look at transcenders and download a demo..

4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Boson's 70-290 materials were written before I got here, so unfortunately, I don't know whether they're good or bad. It is my hope that we can address the Server 2003 exams at some point in the future.

BosonJosh originally wrote the 70-290 exam for Transcender, but the content might have been replaced with Self Test's content when Self Test bought Transcender. If much of Josh's content still remains, then you'll do fine with the Transcender. If not... then I'm not sure that there's a better alternative at this point.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. JohnBradbury

Michael out of interest what's the difference between ExSim #1 for Microsoft 70-290 and ExSim #2 for Microsoft 70-290. I'm assuming it's just an additional sack of questions?

I'll download the demo and check them out .... watch this space

6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Yep... an additional sack of questions. The ExSim items were done in the old days by a variety of writers. Sometimes the sets were all done by the same writer, and sometimes they were done by different writers.

As you might guess, we're changing our development model with the introduction of the new ExSim Max products... higher quality, more realistic questions (longer scenarios, relevant item types), longer and more detailed explanations. Unfortunately, we don't have ExSim Max products for the 2003 stuff yet.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!