Exam scores

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by zebulebu, Aug 12, 2009.

?

You got 920+ on your cert exam...

Poll closed Aug 17, 2009.
  1. You got 920+ O Rly? (the cynic)

11 vote(s)
    42.3%
  2. You got 920+ Way to go! (the optimist)

4 vote(s)
    15.4%
  3. You got 920+ hmmmm... (the fence-sitter)

11 vote(s)
    42.3%
  1. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

I just installed it on a D610 with only half a meg RAM, doens't run flawlessly, but i wouldn't have even considered putting Vista on it.

Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  2. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

Half a meg? You're a mad man! I'm not suprised it doesn't run well. :wink:

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  3. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

I've heard it runs like a dog on half a gig too . . . :lol:

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  4. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

I've got a Win7 esx vm at home running on 512Mb RAM - runs perfectly well. If I tried that with Vista it would fall apart at the seams if I opened notepad.

Of course, half a Mb is a slightly different story...

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

And you guys think it takes a Yank to hijack a thread... :p

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. JK2447

This made me burst out laughing because if you look at the second page on loads of threads, we've normally either started messing about or talking about anything but what the thread was about :lol:

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
  7. Sparky

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Depends on who it is to be honest.

I knew a dude who got 960 on the 70-270 and two days later asked me what a LAN was (no joke!). I had to leave the room and punch a random person in the face! :mad

:biggrin :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  8. Evilwheato

Evilwheato Kilobyte Poster

It really depends on who it is I guess. Some people are either naturally good at exams or remembering/understanding information.
    I'll admit that I got a 900+ score on both of the MCDST exams, but I see others have as well :D

9. madskillz

madskillz Nibble Poster

Lets face it, this type of suspicion is never going to go away until the exams are entirely simulation based problem solving scenarios, and using fully fledged virtual machines rather than the Flash based sims we get these days. Until then, only YOU can know if you truly put in the hours to get that qualification and therefore are deserving of it.

Thanks for listening,

Madz

Certifications: MCSA, MCDST, ITIL v3 F
    WIP: 70-293
  10. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

Oh don't get me wrong, I have plenty of quals that I don't deserve - they're called GCSEs and A Levels. I spent most of school in a non-attentive daze and reading Terry Pratchett, Terry Goodkind and Katherine Kerr novels. Then I paid attention at revision time, and *wham*, school qualifications.

Technical certs are a little different. They *do* require that I know what I'm talking about. Or thinking about. Or something like that.

I massively admire anyone that can go in to a technical exam, multiple choice or not, and be scoring regularly over 800s. No matter how hard I would ever study, I don't have that kind of brain. I'll always retain enough to pass, but never to excel.

In essay situations however... well that's an ENTIRELY different story :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  11. JK2447

Now you've taken me back Arroryn. When I was 19 I needed a book to read on the plane so picked up The Colour of Magic . . . fantastic book. Feel like digging one out now :D

12. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

no seriously its running on half a meg

ok it was a typo :) I do think if the rest of the components were a bit better and i didn't have aero on it'd be fine with half a gig.

Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  13. BosonMichael

Unfortunately, that won't solve the problem either. If everything were simulation-based, you'd STILL be able to use braindumps to study to the exam. Don't think it's possible? Braindumps DO exist for the CCIE, I can assure you.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  14. madskillz

madskillz Nibble Poster

Good point BM, I guess we're just left with a peer review for every exam you sit then.

Certifications: MCSA, MCDST, ITIL v3 F
    WIP: 70-293
  15. JK2447

This thread had got me thinking. It isn't a resonpse to any one thread, I just thought I'd man up and say what I'm thinking, even if it is a bit borderline. I checked my scores and I got 700 for 70-270! I've failed 291, 351 and 299 once. I passed 291 4 months later (I was scared :rolleyes:) and 299 a few weeks later but basically in just over 7 months I earned my MCSA: Security. I abandoned 351 as I couldn't find enough good study materials to justify risking another £88.

I have worked in IT for 10 years doing various roles and began my cert journey on the 1st of Jan 2009. I achieved Charted IT Professional status with the BCS this week too :D. It was actually my New Years resolution to add certs to my experience. I've done 20+ hours a week, yes a week with the odd exception all year!

I suppose what I'm saying is, would you brand me a brain dumper? I've killed myself this year to get where I am cert wise this year. This is why I'm reluctant to brand people BD's, if they have worked in IT for a few years.

I might be nieve, but where I work/have worked Brain Dumping isn't even mentioned because its not an option for us, we wouldn't lower ourselves. In truth I only found out what Brain Dumping was after joining this site, prior to that I'd never heard of it. Seriously.

Jim

16. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Neck and neck between the cynics and those willing to give the benefit of the doubt...

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  17. JK2447

This has been one of the best polls I've read for a while.

18. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

No. It's all dependant upon too many factors... experience, intelligence, ability to absorb information, luck, and above all the blood, sweat, tears (and lack of a social life) that governs people's ability to do well in exams.

I suppose the other point to mention would be those who study the material until you absolutely have it down and then go and score fantastically, and those who study just enough and then semi-wing their exams in the hope of a pass.

I personally believe that the former is the better option. Yes, you may take far longer to be ready for an exam (and write a stupid excess of notes, *ahem*), but the understanding and depth of the subjects studied enables you to be better equipped if such information is needed in the future. Ergo, you become far more knowledgable for future jobs/tasks.

My two cents.

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  19. BosonMichael

If you think that's the way out, consider... people can be bought. If you don't think that's possible, consider: just how DO braindumpers get exact images of graphics on exams? It's because they've got one or more testing centers (or their employees) underneath their wallets.

Anytime you introduce a human factor, you introduce the opportunity for corruption... particularly when there's money to be made.

The best thing that can happen is to run braindump companies out of business. And the only way that can happen is by us telling everyone about the dangers of braindumping... and, MUCH more importantly, by the test vendors cracking down and decertifying people who are suspected of using them. Until there is an actual fear of being decertified, people will continue to cheat.

20. BosonMichael

No, because you've stated that you've worked in IT for 10 years, you've studied a bunch, and you've failed a few exams along the way (something most braindumpers won't ever mention, as they're often quite keen to announce their high scores).

Of course, you COULD be lying to us... but ultimately, that doesn't matter, because it doesn't matter what we think. Only two things matter:

1) whether you actually cheated or not, and
    2) whether Microsoft/Cisco/CompTIA thinks you cheated or not.

Everything else is irrelevant.

So let's say you fail an exam. You study hard to address your deficiencies, and score a super high score the second time around. Is that unbelieveable? Of course not! If you've failed an exam, you've seen some of the exam pool, so you'll possess a much better idea of what's on the exam and how they ask it. I'd expect you to get a much better score the second time around. I speak from experience - I scored above 920 on ALL of the exams I failed the first time around.

I've worked in IT for a few years, and I've got a memory for data (and trivia) like a steel trap. However, I don't get perfect scores because there are questions on the exam that you are unlikely to get right simply by working in the industry!!

In addition, after seeing dozens of exams in my line of work, it is my firm belief that the vendors seed in questions that, if answered CORRECTLY, will result in a score of LESS than 1000! How can this be?? Why would they do that?? To catch out braindumpers. If you score a perfect score, you've incorrectly followed what some braindump company says is the correct answer in your pursuit of a perfect score. But the exam vendors know that a few questions seeded in like that will NOT cause someone to fail (and may have, in fact, created exam scoring logic to ensure people who answer the REAL correct answers will NOT fail). Plus, they know that most people who truly "know their stuff" don't care if they score a perfect score.

Dude, you must have worked with the same bunch of highly moral techs your whole career. Braindumping is rampant. Most people believe it is acceptable - they don't know there's anything wrong with braindumping. Instructors often give them to their students so they'll be able to pass the live exams. But I think that's starting to change, and I think the message is starting to get out there.