Exam Dis-continuation

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by Bordoy, Jan 11, 2009.

1. Bordoy

Bordoy New Member

Hi,

I've ready the article that is on the below link and I'm wondering how long do people think that the MCDST certification will last considering Windows 7 beta was released on Friday?

http://www.informit.com/blogs/blog.aspx?uk=On-Microsoft-Recertification-Policy

I have not took any of the exams yet so am wondering if there is many point in me carrying on with what I've been doing or moving on to do the Vista equivalent certification.

Regards,
    Bordoy

2. John Neerdael

John Neerdael Nibble Poster

I'm pretty sure the current vista cert's will be staying valid quite a long time to come still. I dont have the link at hand but what is said at microsoft.com is that current certifications will last as long as they give support to the product you are certified for. For instance ms is still giving support for windows xp so those certifications would still be valid. I highly doubt they will quickly close down vista support specifically since xp is still being actively supported.

WIP: MCTS: 70-640
  3. Bordoy

Bordoy New Member

OK thanks, I think I heard somewhere that support for XP will last till 2014. So probably safe to say that the MCDST certification should be around until the next decade at least? Pretty good if that is the case.

4. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

XP will be around for a long time to come

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  5. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

XP aint going anywhere.

In saying that if Microsoft get their act together with Windows 7 then it might convince some companies to upgrade.

Maybe..... :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  6. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

The older MCP tracks will not expire, so technically the MCDST will be a valid cert forever. Currently only the newer MCTS/MCITP tracks "retire" when the products support gets discontinued.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security