Exam Cram Study Books

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by michael78, Nov 27, 2004.

1. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

Does anyone use Exam Cram Study Books? I've ordered some for studying the MCDST exams. Just wanted some opinions on what you think of them, are they any good and worth the money in general and are they like other study guides or just pointers?

Cheers

Slypie

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  2. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

well there not really study books
    if you know the material in the exam, you can get by with just the exam crams, as they give you the microsoft direction on everything, and prep your mind for the sorts of stuff the exam will have
    i dont reccomend them as learning aids though, they are really only for final exam prep, or to pass stuff you already know (i got by most the NT4 exams with Exam crams alone)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  3. ScoobyDoo

ScoobyDoo Byte Poster

I would agree 100% with Phoenix. If you know the topic, the Cram Books will focus you in on the specific exam topics.

As Phoenix says, don't use them as study guides - that is not their purpose.

It would also be wrong to give a blanket answer to the pertinence of the books because they are all written by different authors. Some cover the topics better than others.

Check out the user ratings on Amazon before purchase.

Certifications: <<See Below>>
  4. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Sorry to be blonde here, but are these books the same as what used to be the Cramsessions Guides, or is this something different again ?

Personally, I practically relied on the Cramsessions for fine-tuning the exam topics after all materials had been completed.

And I was never let down once (so far ....) 8)

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  5. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Second that :thumbleft

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  6. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Technically, they are now Exam Cram 2 books. The original Exam Cram line went down the tubes with the late, lamented Coriolis Press and the much missed Black Book series. They are handy little books for brushing up on a subject you should already know like the back of your hand. I would *not* recommend them as your only study guide and I think Ryan already covered this quite well.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  7. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

Aye coriolis was the daddy
    thier black book series was second to none, thank god Que brought Examcram back to life though (in the form of Exam Cram 2)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  8. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

I'm planning on using the exam cram to use as a pointer on certain bits. For my main study book I'm using Windows XP Pro Resource Kit which is a 1700 page beast of a book. I also use XP on a daily basis for my job. Just love those XP rollouts...:rolleyes:

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  9. Luton Bee

Luton Bee Kilobyte Poster

I find the exam crams very handy in the final week before an exam as an pointer on the "bullet points" you are expected to know.

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA, MCP, A+, Network+ C&G ICT
    WIP: CCNA