Evolution plugin for Exchange 2000 and 2003

Discussion in 'Linux / Unix Discussion' started by ffreeloader, Aug 14, 2005.

1. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

Don't know how many of you have seen this or run across it as it is new to me, but the Evolution email package has a plugin that makes it compatible with Exchange 2000 and 2003. (This was released by Novell as open source back in 2003 or 2004 iirc.) So, if you want to use a Linux desktop and the only thing holding you back is compatibility with Exchange, here's your solution. The instructions for configuring Evolution to work with Exchange are included in the Evolution help files. It's pretty easy to configure as the help files walk you through it step-by-step.

The plugin comes as a separate package on Debian that's installable in the usual apt-get fashion.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Freddy, do you have a specific link to the plug in or at least more info on it? I'm interested in taking a look. Thanks.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  3. ffreeloader

Do you mean the Debian package? If so just do a package search on the Debian site. If not then I found the info on this on the Novell site by doing the Google search "Evolution 2.0 connector linux" iirc.

Let me know if that's what you are looking for.

I had never even played with Evolution but I ran across an old article (2002) yesterday where a Debian user talked about wanting a new Debian package for the Connector package for Ximian Evolution because he was afraid to upgrade because it might kill his ability to interact with Exchange from his Debian desktop. I thought that was pretty cool so I did some Google searches and am really impressed with the capabilities Evolution has.

4. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  5. ffreeloader

IIRC, there are links from the news release page to the technical information on this too. Evolution has some pretty cool stuff like the ability to add Gaim users through email contacts. It even has a plugin for tying OO in with Evolution similar to how MS Office is tied into Outlook.