Event Viewer

Discussion in 'A+' started by Professor-Falken, Oct 23, 2006.

1. Professor-Falken

Professor-Falken Kilobyte Poster

Windows NT/2000/XP Event Viewer

Here is another question I found on a practice test with the accompanying explanation: Could anyone help me understand the answer.

Where would a technician look for an unlisted startup error?

A. Event Viewer
    B. Device Manager
    C. Registry
    D. The boot log

Answer:

A. Event Viewer

Could someone explain the answer to this question. I am confused I understand the concept of the Event Viewer from the Mike Meyers book but I don’t understand the answer to this question. Could someone please help.

Thanks Professor Falken.

P.S. I plan to have a lot more questions because I am finishing up studying for the 2003 A+ OS exam.
    Thanks so much for your help

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia Network +
  2. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Prof,

I would suggest you take a look at Event viewer on your machine. Start > Control Panel > Admin tools > Event viewer.
    From here you can see exactly what is going on in your system (for the want of a better phrase).

If you get a question like this in the exam which you don't know the answer to, rule out the others.

Device manager deals with hardware and drivers (excluding printers)

They usually avoid registry answers because MS doesn't approve of making edits unless necessary. Everytime you make a change in Control Panel Windows will make a change in system registry on your behalf.

The boot log is only used for boot purposes.

Si

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT