European Computer Driving Licence

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Jakamoko, Sep 26, 2003.

1. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Hi All,

I know this isn't a great place to post this, but there isn't a General Certs forum, so this will do.

Do any of you have any experience of the European Computer Driving Licence (I think thats the right title of it) ? I'm sure I remember reading about it in here a while ago ?

My wife is about to undertake it through her work, as part of her Personal Development Plan, but isn't too sure what's involved. They've said to her she needs to spend 2 hours a week on the computer (YESSS !!! I get to drop a network cable downstairs to the kitchen at last !!! :P ). There is then some sort of on-line assessment at the end.

So if any of you Guys'n'Gals know anymore, ie what exactly does it entail, level of knowledge required, materials used, etc, I'd be more than grateful :thumbleft

Now, wheres me drill and grappling hook ? :multi

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  2. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

In the offices at the hospital, I have recently noticed these ECDL folders everywhere, plus posters advertising it.I think they're really pushing for every office person to take this.

I once saw the folder left open and had a peek.There was something about files and that, to be honest I couldn't really see.

I'll ask one of the office people at work on Monday if you like.I'm sure I'll find someone who's doing it, and who can give me the download on it.The folder was about twice the size of a standard binder, although I'm not sure if that's everything.

Like I say, they all seem to be doing it at the mo.

3. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Thanks for that, Flex - much appreciated. The more I can find out, the better !

4. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Hey Jak,

I used to teach it when I was a tutor, its very much like the MOS certs only the 7 modules dont have to be done using MS office, hence the titles "Word Processing, Spreadsheets, Databases" etc.

In the NHS they are all for this cert and have been pushing over the past 2 years, I trained alot of NHS staff when I was tutoring.

I think its changed a little since I had anything to do with it, I'll give Rosy a big nudge and get her to drop you some info, she still teaches it in her job.

http://www.ecdl.co.uk/ has a little more info.

HTH, Si

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  5. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Excellent, SimonV - thanks for that. I thought it was Rosy who had mentioned it before, but wasn't too sure ...

My wife (Missus J) works for the NHS, so that'll be why she's up for it - although it wasn't pushed upon her, she chose to do it.

Apparently she thinks she "knows" someone who's good with computers ??? :onthePC :scratch

Well, when I find out who it is ...... :evil:

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2015
  6. J.R.

J.R. Bit Poster

7. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Cheers, J.R - just printing them off for Missus J right now - actually, I'm starting to think about it for myself too ....

8. Rosy
    Honorary Member

Rosy Megabyte Poster

Hey Jak

As I am sure you have noticed from the links the ECDL course consists of 7 modules: Basic concepts, word processing, spreadsheets, databases, powerpoint, internet and email and file management. The qualification is currently undergoing changes and I would advise that wherever you choose to study this course that you ask about BCS Level 2. This is because the ECDL is between a level 1 and level 2 qualification which causes problems funding wise. So what they have done is BCS (Awarding body) have invented 2 new certificates - BCS Level 1 (which is basic concepts, File management and Internet and Email) and BCS Level 2 (word, ssheets, dbases, powerpoint and a new module on Using IT which will be multiple choice). If you sign up for BCS Levels 1 and 2 you automatically get entered for your ECDL certificate as you will cover these modules.

In short you do one extra module and get 3 certificates!

Again check out centres as some do manual testing and others electronic. The manual tests help keep the costs down however have to be manually marked and the electronic tests are simulations and you get a result instantly - however you do not get feedback which you may do from a tutor who has manually marked.

Hope that this helps!
    xx

Certifications: MOS Master Instructor
  9. SimonV
    Honorary Member

Just to add, IMO the manual testing would be te better choice of the two. In the centre I worked at we did manual testing but looked at electronic testing at the pass rate is lower on the electronic. If given the choice go for the manual.

HTH. SimonV

Last edited: Jan 2, 2015
  10. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Thanks again, Dudes ! (Hiiiiiiii, Roooosy - its been a while :lovly )

Thats more good info there - I don't know how much say my wife has in the above aspects, but it is certainly funded for her, so thats not an issue, thankfully !

I checked out the above links, etc, so I reckon we're reasonably up to speed on this.

All your help is appreciated as usual :P

11. IDG1973

IDG1973 New Member

Hi Chaps!

I started the ECDL a couple of months ago for free at my local LearnDirect office not 5 minutes walk away. Found it fairly easy going but as usual for me put it on hold for a while.

I'd like to get back to it as some stage, perhaps after the MCSE! Hope there's no time limit tho..... :roll:

12. SimonV
    Honorary Member

If its with a learndirect centre then I'd say there will be :!: Its all about funding, thats why you got it for free. The centre will claim money for enrolling you, then will claim again for when they sign you off and also claim if you pass.

13. Sandy

Sandy Ex-Member

I hear their is an International one too from my pals in the Services - If you want to travel a bit (outside of the EU) it is a better one to have.

14. Rosy
    Honorary Member

Rosy Megabyte Poster

That's right Sandy - there is a version called the ICDL but I don't know of anywhere in UK that offers it - I could be wrong here but I thought that the ICDL was offered abroad but they can sit exams here.

I would say that the good old version of ECDL is still the best at the moment as all employers etc have heard of it and the BCS certificates are only just being introduced - we haven't even introduced them where I work yet however, I do feel that the Level 2 certificate will take off quite well.

Certifications: MOS Master Instructor