European Computer Driving Licence (ECDL)

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by agalliford, Mar 14, 2007.

1. agalliford

agalliford New Member

I am thinking of doing (ECDL) course at work (it is free), I am very good with computers, I am very good with Access, Excel, Word etc. but no qualifications is this worth doing. I really would like to get to Web design as I have worked on a number of website in my current job, what self learning courses would be best.

2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

IMO yes, the ECDL is a level 2 user qualification. It may not be a technical cert, however you will find that it does give you a basis to start from. Not only that but once you get into IT, you will find alot of the calls that you get will be "how do you do this, how do you do that".

As for web design via homestudy, you could try the CIW (exam 1D0-420). You could get the learnkey course and a couple of books. Other than that, someone who has more knowledge in this field will be along shortly.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

I did the ECDL for two reasons. First I wanted to see what it was about; I'd been asked about it a fair bit.

Second it promised a structured intro to various components of M$ Office. Up to then I had just been using Office in an ad-hoc manner, and I felt I could do with a rather more overall view.

It also is a good intro to computer-based exams for later on.

So I'd say it was worth it, particularly if the company are paying!

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  4. pae

pae New Member

There are anumber of teach yourself series on the web you can either download one from rapidshare or buy one from amazon both ebooks and videos.
    Try out this book found at Amazon.
    Teach Yourself Great Web Design in a Week
    by Anne-Rae Vasquez-Peterson (Author), Paul Chow (Author)

WIP: CCNA