Ethical Hacking

Discussion in 'Other IT certifications' started by Daniel, Jun 3, 2009.

1. Daniel

Daniel Byte Poster

Helllllo,

Can anyone tell me if the Ethical Hacking Certification is any good?

Might pursue it if I can pull the money together :ymca

Certifications: 70-270, 70-290, 70-291
    WIP: None, but learning SEO/SEM
  2. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Depends what you mean by "any good".

Security may be a growth area but also requires in-depth knowledge. Perhaps look at the CompTIA Security+ 2008 first.

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  3. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Hi Daniel,
    I've just got my code from the EC Council to self study and take the CEH exam. I have to send them my drivers licence, a headed letter from my company stating that I have 2 years relevant security experience signed by my manager, and their form filled in :D

I've got a few Microsoft exams to get out the way, oh and my Security+ before I start studying for it but IMHO I think the material covered looks very good. It won't make you a hacker but you will be aware of the tools and methods available :twisted:

If you don't have 2 years IT security related experience you will have to take the week long course with an approved provider which I believe is between 2.5 - 3k in this counrty :(

Cheers

Jim

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  4. Daniel

Daniel Byte Poster

Ah I see, I knew you had to meet certain standards to start this course, due to the nature of it.

But, I should probably look into other Security certs first before I look into this one.

Thanks fellas :biggrin!

Certifications: 70-270, 70-290, 70-291
    WIP: None, but learning SEO/SEM
  5. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Security is something I am very interested in pursuing, but got to get the experience first! :)

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  6. jef

jef Bit Poster

Hi there.

Mate of mine has just done one of the Offensive Security courses.

http://www.offensive-security.com/

Don't know how much industry cares for the cert, but the knowledge gained is _awesome_.

it really does open your eyes.

the course is presented in flash video format with commentary, and it's all very nicely paced and very thorough.

I would send you a sample of the videos but I'm afraid the videos are watermarked with my mate's details.

for £300 or whatever it is you can't go wrong.

Certifications: nowt.
    WIP: bits and bobs