ESX3i - VM Local Network possible?

Discussion in 'Virtual and Cloud Computing' started by BrizoH, Oct 30, 2008.

1. BrizoH

BrizoH Byte Poster

Hi,

I'm playing around with ESX for the first time (attempting to set up a lab for Server 2008 studies) so please bear with me if this is a dumb question

What I'd like to do is have my VM's use the equivalent of Virtual PC's Local only networking.

For example:

Server Physical NIC: 10.0.0.1

By Default the Virtual Switch has an observed IP range or 10.0.0.1-254, meaning my VM's pick up addresses from my live DHCP server.

I'd like to isolate my VM's using a Virtual IP Range - can anyone advise if this is possible?

Thanks

Certifications: CCNA, CCNA Security
    WIP: CCNP
  2. BrizoH

BrizoH Byte Poster

Well I found out how to do this - just in case anyone else has the same issue, the answer is to create a Virtual Switch with NO physical adapters configured (then assign each of your VM's to this switch)

Oh and make sure Windows Firewall is disabled - I thought my virtual switch wasn't working until I remembered this :oops:

The main reason I wanted to set this up, in addition to isolating the network, is to play around with DCHP etc on 2008 without disturbing my production network.

I'm about to try configuring one of my VM's with a NIC on both the isolated switch, and the "public" switch (that is the one with a physical adapter). I'll then try to set this up as a gateway allowing Internet access from the isolated network.

I think this should work but I'll have a bash today

Certifications: CCNA, CCNA Security
    WIP: CCNP
  3. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Thanks for sharing BrizoH, that's helpful:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell