ESX in a box

Discussion in 'Virtual and Cloud Computing' started by Theprof, Apr 19, 2009.

1. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

I was recently looking into setting up a cheap esx lab environment to practice/test stuff... well I didn't get very far as I realized that my CPU wasn't supported. It's basically having ESX run in vmware workstation 6.5 and the tutorial can be found on Xtravirts's website...

For my lab I setup wmware workstation 6.5, ESX 3.5.0 update 4 (Trial), OpenFiler as a SAN. First step was I started setting up OpenFiler, basically setting it up with storage shares, network settings, permissions, etc. Got that up and running then went to install ESX. This is where I spend a good day trying to get it to work and then realized the red print on Xtravirt's guide that I needed a AMD-V family H cpu and I had the AMD-V Family F cpu instead.

I guess at this point I might as well get a cheap server instead of trying to upgrade my cpu and motherboard...

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  2. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

I'm the same as you when it comes to learning new stuff, forget the instructions, lets give it a whirl and install stuff.

Then the wifes moans and says, what do you mean you have spent the last 30 hours without sleep ignoring me and it doesnt work!

Seriously, if you find a cheap box compatible with ESX, let us know, I'm sure that I'm one of many who would like that information.

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  3. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

The ML115s are going for 174.99 ext vat ML110 are still at £199.99 or here is one with a little damage for £129.97

Certifications: MCDST|FtOCC
    WIP: MCSA(70-270|70-290|70-291)