Error Installing Ipod on Vista

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Fergal1982, Jan 22, 2008.

1. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

The other half got herself a spanking new Ipod the other day. Been trying to install it on my Vista x64 machine, without any luck.

Itunes is all installed on the machine, but whenever its plugged in, it comes up in Device Manager as an unknown device. It does show up in disk manager, but i cant set a drive letter for it (It errors telling me to refresh disk manager).

Checking on the forums, it seems there are a multitude of people with the same issue. I pointed my installation at the system32 folder (and subfolders), and the inf folder (and subfolders).

Now, when i try to install, I get the following error:

Any ideas guys?

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I guess taking it back and getting a non-Apple device is out of the question, eh? :twisted:

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. BosonJosh

BosonJosh Gigabyte Poster

It's not out of the question if they want an inferior MP3 player :D

Seriously, though, it wouldn't surprise me if the iPod didn't work on an x64 based version of Vista. It is an Apple product after all, and there's probably not a whole lot of need for Apple to expend too much effort at this point to create an x64 Windows driver for it.

You may want to try this update from Microsoft.

4. BosonMichael

Ah, you mean, superior in that you have to use proprietary software to use it, right? :rolleyes:

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  5. BosonJosh

BosonJosh Gigabyte Poster

You don't *have* to use iTunes with an iPod. There's other software that works, such as WinAmp.

6. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

See, the key problem here can be summed up in two words:

"Ipod"
    "Vista"

just replace them both with:

"Anything not made by Apple"
    "XP"

Voila - problem solved!

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  7. BosonMichael

See? I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks that! :thumbleft

8. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Anything from Apple = overpriced eye-candy

9. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Apple does over price their stuff thats for sure. However I do have to admit that I own an Ipod my self and I like it. It does what I need it to do. However the new Ipod touch is too much I find, it's nice and everything but really expensive.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  10. Fergal1982

Unfortunately no. She got it partly because its pretty, and partly because for the cost per GB, it beats all else. 80GB for 150 quid.

We caved and tried it on XP. Now it is recognised, but seems to be corrupted. Errors after about 18 files with a corruption type error.

Man I hate Ipods. causing no end of grief on this end here.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
  11. BosonMichael

Aha! I've got the solution.

Buy her a Mac. :D

12. Fergal1982

christ! she moans about linux on the laptop. i dont need an ear bashing over the mac thingy.

13. BosonMichael

Ah! You've got a moaner! Say no more, mate!!!

14. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Tell her to fix her own computer.

Then run... :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  15. Fergal1982

They're all my computer!!!!

16. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Surely there is an old Windows 98 PC kicking around that you can let her use? :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  17. Fergal1982

nup. its an old old xp machine shes using right now though. what i let her use when we were playing wow together (i of course, have the 1k powerhouse).

18. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

LOL - I get this from the wife all the time. She regularly gives me arseache about 'the network' (as I've finally trained her to call it). Of course, in her defence, I did once give her the most restrictive GPO imaginable, have had her at times logging onto Citrix when i was testing it and even had her on a thin client in the past :)

I still proxy everything out through ISA or Squid and, when I'm feeling particularly mean, I turn SurfControl on as well :biggrin At least now when SurfControl is on I have changed the page so it's not this any more:
    [​IMG]

19. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Zeb you must have quite a lab going on there?:twisted:

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA