EPOS

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Garrymol, Sep 13, 2005.

1. Garrymol

Garrymol New Member

Hi peeps,

dont know if iam in the right forum,but here goes

i have been offered a position as an epos engineer for fujitsu (contract work ) and i have never come across this type of work,

can anybody shed any light on the subject ie: what is involved,any help would be welcomed...thanx Garry

2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Sounds to me like it's front line hardware work.

Going out to customers and fixing hardware under warranty.

But then again I could be wrong. :blink

3. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

EPOS - Electronic Point of Sale - I think. SoI guess that mean going to shops and fixing their tills etc.

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  4. Veteran's son

Veteran's son Megabyte Poster

Thanks for posting the message about the job title, AJ! :)
    I haven't heard of that job title before. 8)

Certifications: A+
    WIP: N+
  5. EMacd

EMacd Bit Poster

Hi,

I've done a bit of EPOS with my previous company. We used a system called POSIS. Some of the functions were in Icelandic as it's produced by an Icelandic company, which just added to the confusion.
    The tills were basically custom PCs with touch screens running w2k or xp with the till software on top. You also have the other bits of kit like the laser scanner and receipt printer. The tills generally communicate with a server somewhere and all of the sales are downloaded at set points throughout the day. Any price changes or till setup changes are made on the server and then uploaded to the tills automatically. If the shop has a "bogof" then only one change needs to be made and the tills do it straight away.
    Supporting EPOS is not fun as you can't leave a customer and go away to think about a solution. You also have to make your fix as fast as you can.
    Shops are never particularly happy when their systems are not running. That's a biiiiiiiiiiiiig understatement!
    Although the gratitude when you fix it is immense.

It's just a steep learning curve.

Cheers

E.

6. Garrymol

Garrymol New Member

Many thanks to the replys

i start my first job in IT tomorrow,and i am now sh***ng my pants

7. Kerfuffle

Kerfuffle Nibble Poster

I know it's been a year since this thread has been posted in, but I've got a job interview tommorow for a helpdesk position with a company that installs and looks after EPOS machines.

My question:
    Is this a reasonable position to go for as a first step into IT? It sounds like I'd be better in a helpdesk role that supported Windows, as I know naff all about Epos systems and ultimately this isn't what I want to do - or am I missing something here.

I know 'beggars can't be choosers' and they will offer training to 'the right candidate'.

Any further thoughts?

Certifications: A+, Network+, ITIL v3, 70-270
    WIP: 70-290
  8. G1BB0

G1BB0 Nibble Poster

a guy that worked on the desk where I am currently left to work for 'paypoint' and is loving it, learning loads more and now has his MCSA so has been given an extra pay rise in recognition

keep badgering him to get me in the door lol

I guess you wont know until you try it as no 2 jobs/companies are the same anyway.

GL

WIP: N+ & CCNA