Entry Level Skills

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Weemez, Jul 28, 2005.

1. Weemez

Weemez Kilobyte Poster

I was just updating my Monster CV and started thing about what employers are actually looking for when looking for an entry level employee, i ask this because they are few and far between as far as advertised jobs are concerned for me to get an idea from.

I was just wondering what the entry level core skills were so as i could focus on these areas and then i can have something worthwhile on my CV!

I realise it will be different from company to company but for say, someone like myself who would be looking at Helpdesk Support or actually getting into the real thing, (hands on) i mean, what would be the best areas to concentrate on.

Is it just a general knowlege of say, the A+ criteria?

I know it it might seem an obvious question to answer but i would just like to hear some of the opinions you guys might have to add. :biggrin

Certifications: HNC Computing A+ N+ ICND1
    WIP: ICND2
  2. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Just maximise on what you DO have at the moment - ie, willingness (you're doing the A+) experience of fixing all those PCs folks keep calling you about, general willingness to learn, etc. You may think you have little to put on your entry level CV, but if you work hard at it, you'll do it - worked for me.

Good luck Kev.

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  3. Weemez

Weemez Kilobyte Poster

Thanks a lot mate, reply much appreciated. :thumbleft

Thats what i will do.

I picked up my Mike Meyers All in one today from depot because it wouldnt fit through the letterbox, some reading but it really looks the part!

4. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Just a quick note to this. If you can do it, it goes on the CV. If your training for it, it goes on the CV. If it's relivant it goes on the CV. But one thing, the CV must not be longer than 2 pages.

It will need altering, depending on the job you are applying for. Different jobs have different requirements, so change the CV to match.

That's my opinion anyway

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  5. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Agreed 100% with AJ's points above as well.

(Hint if you can spell, it goes on the CV too :biggrin )

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  6. Weemez

Weemez Kilobyte Poster

Cool Gav!, Ta AJ. :biggrin