"Entry level" job..

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by clsyorkshire, May 25, 2007.

1. clsyorkshire

clsyorkshire Bit Poster

Hi all,

In various posts, I see the phrase "entry level" job, but I'm not sure I understand exactly what it means.

I've applied for a job as a "Junior IT Technician" at a school - would this be considered to be an entry level job, or am I aiming too high?

Certifications: AS IT, AVCE IT
    WIP: A+
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Depends on the job responsibilities and whether the employer thinks it's an entry-level job or not. An entry-level job is one in which one "enters" the IT career field... meaning, you don't yet have experience. If a job requires experience, by definition, it's not an entry-level job.

Hope this helps! :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I agree with Michael that the term "entry level" can be somewhat fluid. Generally speaking, an entry level position in an industry is the lowest, most basic skill level necessary for you to attach to that industry and still be classified as belonging to it. In the food services business, an entry level position would probably be a dishwasher. For IT/user support, it would probably be tier one help desk. For server or data center support, it would probably be a junior level technician (think, change backup tapes and other "menial" tasks).

Having said all that, you can only try and see if they offer you an interview.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  4. Tartanbill

Tartanbill Bit Poster

You know, that's probably the best and most consice explanation of "entry level" i've ever heard :)

5. clsyorkshire

clsyorkshire Bit Poster

I don't mind the menial tasks bit, it's just all about getting a foot in the door and getting some real-world IT experience. Faffing around with PCs at home just doesn't cut it in the real world..

Certifications: AS IT, AVCE IT
    WIP: A+