Entry level IT job titles

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Llew, Jun 16, 2011.

1. Llew

Llew Bit Poster

Hi, I'm kind of relying on people just posting up... what was your first IT position, and what was the official title?
    I am trying to search for entry level IT positions and want to know what search terms & criteria to use... I just want to know what is actually available out there at the moment... then maybe I can decide on a sensible strategy for gaining IT work experience...

regards
    Llew

Certifications: none yet
    WIP: self learning until college starts, networks, basic COMPTIA elements, basic web design
  2. Apexes

Apexes Gigabyte Poster

Official first role title was "IT Technician"

common ones you'll see are :

Junior IT Support
    ICT Technician
    IT Support Analyst
    Junior Computer Support
    IT Engineer

Regarding work experience, go around all the schools - especially in the summer holidays, when i was working at the school we had so much on in terms of re-cabling, and tidying things up, and the summer holidays was the perfect time to get it done, we could of done with at least 2 or 3 volunteers at that time to help us out (This was a huge school with 1300 machines in it though) but even so, most would apprecaite volunteer work, even if it is only basic stuff.

Certifications: 70-243 MCTS: ConfigMgr 2012 | MCSE: Private Cloud
  3. DryPlate

DryPlate Nibble Poster

I search for support, technician and help desk. Since you usually need to start in support in the IT field.. I also search for my certifications, like A+, Network+, MCDST and EDST.

Certifications: CompTIA A+, MCDST, Apple Certified Associate
    WIP: CompTIA Network+, MCITP: EDST 7
  4. Llew

Llew Bit Poster

Thanks for these suggestions ppl! Apexes that's a great idea about volunteering to help in the summer in the schools, I believe I will give that a go definately, I hadn't thought of it at all. I find the idea of actually contacting anyone with a 'hard sell' a bit daunting (Ha - did I just say 'a bit' ...?lol), but it does show initiative and if you don't actually ask you won't get I suppose...
    many thanks
    regards
    Llew
    btw DryPlate how much work do you reckon is out there for Certified Apple people... and do you need MS certs to be Apple certified...?

WIP: self learning until college starts, networks, basic COMPTIA elements, basic web design
  5. Apexes

Apexes Gigabyte Poster

Lots of creative / design industries use mac's for their editing power - and even alot of offices have them for some usage or another. Photography studios usually use them, web designers, graphic designers.

No need to be MS certified to get an apple cert

6. DryPlate

DryPlate Nibble Poster

Schools use them as well and I'm interested in working in the higher ed field.. a lot of colleges have Macs in their design departments of course but also science departments. There's some very popular science programs which run on Macs. I like Macs and I like being well versed on a variety of operating systems, so if I get into a job where I can help with my Mac training/experience then that's cool. If not, I still enjoy learning.

I don't think there's a lot of Mac jobs out there per say but there also aren't a lot of candidates with the experience either. I'm not doing it because of that though, like I said.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2011
    Certifications: CompTIA A+, MCDST, Apple Certified Associate
    WIP: CompTIA Network+, MCITP: EDST 7
  7. Llew

Llew Bit Poster

...I see that Mac OSX is like Linux based, I also see that Macs are less prone to virus attack... and also, I did an Adobe photoshop course on macs many moons ago, but had to give it up because I could not get enough practice what with the nearest available Mac bein toofar away from home to work on late or after hours...

But also an acquaintance went into business as a web designer / developer, and his machine of choice was a Mac. Lastly, I played my first ever computer game on an old apple desktop in the early eighties.... Macs certainly have a certain cachet to them, and do seem useful for design work, as well as in science and media departments.. I will certainly bear this in mind and try not to write them out of my learning prograregards
    Llew

8. Llew

Llew Bit Poster

I have arranged to speak to my local college careers person to see about voluntary summer placement with IT dept / support team, will also try speaking to schools and try to maybe give my applications some cred by bringing in my advisor at the jobcentre... keep your fingers crossed for me Apexes
    regards
    Llew

9. Apexes

Apexes Gigabyte Poster

Good on you, hope you get that placement :)

10. Llew

Llew Bit Poster

Thanks for that. The appointment went ok, my college careers contact didn't laugh in my face, but undertook to pass my request along to the right people, those hallowed priests of the holy network...
    In fact, she was really good and encouraged me to see the appointment as the start of a process rather than a one off thing. So when I came out of the office it felt that I had started something rolling.
    We are keeping in contact and I hope to know one way or the other this week. In the meantime I have been going through some web resources and network / datacomms material, to get started with some education.
    I find the worst part of seeking placements / jobs is that period of limbo when you are waiting to hear from someone, hanging...:/
    Next I guess are the schools and the libraries... persevere... :)
    Regards
    Llew