End of Server 2003?

Discussion in 'Software' started by JonnyMX, Jan 27, 2010.

1. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Hi all.

According to the MS website, mainstream support for Server 2003 seems to be ending in July this year, with extended support ongoing until 2015.

I was wondering if anyone had any plans to upgrade their server technology any time soon?

Also, what do you think the implications are for those just starting out on an MCSE?

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  2. EZE Training Instr

EZE Training Instr Bit Poster

Hi JonnyMX

As an organisation we are starting to see a lot of companies moving to Server 2008 R2 and Exchange 2010 with a view to move to SharePoint 2010 once released.

MCSE is an excellent qualification and I have upgraded my own 4 times now NT > 2000 > 2003 > MCITP Ent Admin. Not saying MCSE's are done and gone but anyone who has started their MCSA/MCSE should look at the upgrade paths to stay current and not be left behind. As you have not started your MCSE yet I would strongly recommend that you look at becoming an MCITP Server Administrator.

Please contact me on here if you have any more questions.

Regards

Gareth Jone
    Chief Instructor

Certifications: MCT, MCITP, MCTS, VCI, VCP, CCNA, CCNP
  3. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Thanks for that, but I'm not thinking of doing any certs for the moment. MCSE never really was my bag.
    Just asking out of interest...

:biggrin

4. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

I think MS are gonna be experiencing deja vu with 2003 after their experiences of trying to move people along off XP. A recession won't help them coax money out of IT budgets so I think companies are going to opt for keeping 2003 for a very long time, not least of all because its very good.

Common sense seems to be thin on the ground with large companies these days (CompTIA for example) but I think "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" will sum up a lot of CIO's feeling on this. . . . . all IMHO of course.

Jim

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  5. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

Smaller companies are even less likely to have the budgets available for server 08 upgrades, I'm working in one and we certainly haven't, we're still running server 2k!

We do also have 2k3 and 2k8 running but we only tend to end up with new server software when the business requires for a specific purpose.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  6. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

I think it depends on what improvements the new software offers them that 2003 doesn't.

There are some nice things that are only offered in 2008 (NAP for instance) and the idea of Exchange 2010 etc.

I am currently working on a project to roll users out to Vista (from 2000 and XP), the move to Win 7 for some of them are going to happen over the summer (minority rather than majority of users).
    They are running a mix of 2008 and 2003 servers however.

As far as Tech goes, it's better to be a version behind than living on the Bleeding Edge (unless you're an Investment Bank, at which point they just throw more money at it).

As far as MCSE goes, it will still be a good cert to have, I actually advise people to go for that over the MCITP at the moment because it gives them a better understanding on the whole 2003\2008 platform (rather than just the 2008 platform).

2003 will slowly dwindle out, much like XP is starting to now.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  7. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

We upgraded to Windows 2008 R2 within a week of it being released on the MS agreement, which was a good few months before it was RTM's

I believe that there is still time to do the MCSA/MCSE, there are still a h@ll of alot of companies that are using 2003 and will continue to do so pass 2015. Added to that there is no sign of MS retiring any of the main exams for the MCSA/MCSE.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  8. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

I guess a lot of pressure is going to come onto companies who outsource their IT support to Microsoft Partners who are going to want to start shipping 2008 to get their point up!

:rolleyes: