Employers looking for you.

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by mondos, Apr 9, 2007.

1. mondos

mondos Kilobyte Poster

Interesting link about employers searching the net for prospective employees.

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/news/index.cfm?newsid=8921

Certifications: A+
    WIP: N+, MCDST and finding a job!
  2. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

Thanks for the link Mondos, Interesting article about Employers finding employees through web blogs.

Interest point raised by Careerbuilder:- :dry

In a recent CareerBuilder.com survey, one in four hiring managers used Internet search engines to research job candidates. Fifty-one percent of them said they didn't hire someone based on what they found. Here are some of the reasons candidates didn't make the cut:

31 percent lied about qualifications.

25 percent had poor communication skills.

24 percent were linked to criminal behavior.

19 percent bad-mouthed a previous employer or co-worker.

19 percent posted information about drinking or using drugs.

15 percent shared confidential information from previous employers.

12 percent lied about an absence from work.

11 percent posted provocative or inappropriate photographs.

8 percent used unprofessional screen names.

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  3. Crito

Crito Banned

Prospective employees should all do the same to their potential employer. If there's a history of, say, accounting fraud at the company, perhaps that's not a team you should associate yourself with. Or if you can't find a single ex-employee that has something good to say about a potential manager, maybe that's another sign you're making a bad long-term career choice.

I also think most employers get the employees they deserve. If you find yourself surrounded by incompetent "yes men", perhaps the problem is with your hiring practices.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: none
  4. supag33k

supag33k Kilobyte Poster

I agree - what is good for the employer is good for the employee.

Note that employers trying to be difficult during the interview process is a warning sign of problems ...IMHO

There's a differrence between being a firm but fair employer and being a real mean SOB that no one wants to work for anyway.

I have had it where a manager that bullies staff tried the same with me... he did not get too far!!

Certifications: MCSE (NT4/2000/2003/Messaging), MCDBA
    WIP: CCNA, MCTS SQL, Exchange & Security stuff
  5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I somewhat disagree... my best jobs have typically come with the hardest interviews. A hard interview doesn't have to come from a mean SOB. That said, that's what an interview is for... for employers to weed out bad employees... AND for employees to weed out bad managers! Remember, an interview is a two-way street... you're interviewing them as they're interviewing you.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. Pete01

Pete01 Kilobyte Poster

here you can read reviews of what it's like to work for some companies:

http://www.jobvent.com/

Employers do Google the names of candidates so if you have a blog or use your real name on any social networking sites like Myspace or facebook, you need to make sure it's something you'd be happy for potential employers to read. It's not fair but it does happen, if you want to express yourself and have fun you're best off with a nickname or alias.

Here is a very informative post from an employer (an excellent blog BTW) talking about his screening process:

http://www.randsinrepose.com/archives/2007/02/25/a_glimpse_and_a_hook.html

Certifications: MCP (NT4) CCNA
    WIP: 70-669, Learning MSI packaging
  7. juice142

juice142 Megabyte Poster

It's easy to cut through the crap these days.

Just put your age on the application.

They'll have to interview you in case they are accused of discrimination.

At last us old gits get an edge... 8)

J.

Certifications: BSc (Hons), A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270, MCSA