eLearning for Comptia A+

Discussion in 'A+' started by LethalToxin, Jul 29, 2012.

1. LethalToxin

LethalToxin New Member

Has anyone ever taken the eLearning course for it?
    Yes it cost $450 but if money is no issue at all, would you recommend this to me?
    Money is already taken care of so please don't take that into consideration with your response.
    I have tried using Mike Meyers but I am just getting a little overwhelmed and personally I don't feel his way of explaining is the best way for me personally to learn. Yes his study guides are great but I just don't grasp onto it as most might.

I've taken the eLearning trial and I actually like the way the course is mapped and layed out. What I am asking is, do you think I'd be ready for the exam after this course and of course with myself studying the material outside the course.

2. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Have you looked at Professor Messer's free A+ course?

HTH
    NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  3. shadowwebs

shadowwebs Megabyte Poster

I have not used elearning, however I can say from my own experience that I struggle to learn through reading books, as sometimes the amount of data to remember can be scary and just force me in to putting the book down. I also used Professor Messer and found this was the best way for me to learn and passed both exams first time by using this resource.

If you are going to use elearning, it would be worth you checking if you are paying for the current 220-701/2 exams, or whether they will upgrade you for free to the 220-801/2 which is due out at some point this year I believe.

Good luck in your studies whichever route you take.

Certifications: compTIA A+, Apple Certified Technical Coordinator 10.10 (OS X Yosemite, Server and Support)
  4. LinuxMint

LinuxMint Bit Poster

Wow! I'm thinking I wished I'd found this before I paid $695 for my course that starts Tuesday. I too struggled with reading in the past but believe that I now have the self-motivation to get this done. However, I do want the hands on experience since I haven't had a lot in the past, having done phone support; so I guess that is something I'll get via the course that I won't get with Dr. Messer.

I'll use Dr. Messer's materials in conjunction with my Mike Meyers book and what I learn in class to ensure victory when I write the Certification Exams!

5. NetworkMD

NetworkMD Bit Poster

That is the two sources I used Meyers doing a quick read taking notes on the items I was weaker in, coupled with the Messer's video.

6. LinuxMint

LinuxMint Bit Poster

While I'm sure the Comptia ELearning would probably be more valuable than the course I took, I'm pretty convinced that those two sources you mentioned are all that anyone should ever need. I definitely do not recommend taking a classroom based course for A+. Use the money you would pay for the course to buy yourself the hardware and software you need to play around with. I can testify that the course I took was not worth what I paid for it. I got nothing out of it that I couldn't have got on my own with that $695.00 + Messer + Meyers book. Plus, everything that I could have spent on my learning with that $695 I could have kept. Now that $695 I spent on the course is gone and I have little to show for it.

Did the OP decide to take the ELearning course for $450? If so, was it worth it?

Last edited: Nov 30, 2012
  7. Sonicimage

Sonicimage Bit Poster

Hi, guys,

I've posted this question on another thread already, but then decided to post here as it's relevant to what is being said here.
    Has anyone used the video course from Trainsignal? It costs $297, and comes on 5 DVDs plus access online.
    Would be nice to hear some opinion, as I was thinking to buy it, as you can see live equipment there, not just pictures and graphics.
    Any advice would be appreciated.

Certifications: Bachelor of Art; City & Guilds Diploma in ICT Systems Level 2 & 3; MCTS: Active Directory; MCTS: Network Infrastructure; MCTS: Windows 7, Configuring; MCSA: Server 2008; CCENT; CCNA; MCSE: Server 2012
    WIP: MCSE: Server Infrastructure