Ehup!

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by Robs12, Jul 3, 2008.

1. Robs12

Robs12 New Member

Hello there everyone.

As per what seems to be the norm on this forum, ive recently been on the phone to Advent training, who had a lovely lady talk to me for about an hour of how much of a fantastic prospect i am, before lumping me next to a £6,000 bill! So I've said ta-ra to them and headed over to this place, and I'm thinking of taking everyones advice and heading down the self study path.

Just finished a BA(Hons) degree in Music, which before i started was the best idea in the world. It was only upon finishing it i realised how utterly, utterly useless it is, and instead I'm planning a trip down the IT Path.

Whilst saying Hello, im wondering if someone could maybe give me a little advice. I've been reading the forums, and there is some fantastic information. The guides written, especially the guide to Self-Study, are absolutely brilliant. And after reading them, I'm thinking that I'm gonna start out by doing the CompTIA A+ IT Essentials exam as my first one. planning on buying the books recommended, getting some work done, some practice papers, getting myself booked in with an exam and seeing how it goes.

However, once I've done the CompTIA A+, where would people suggest I go to next? I understand its probably a case of "It depends what kind of work you want to do" but i understand there are quite a lot of already qualified IT Professionals on this site, and I was wondering what they would recommend to someone starting out.

Finally, and most importantly... Anyone else from Bolton? :biggrin

Certifications: BA(Hons) Music
    WIP: CompTIA A+
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Welcome to the forums! Good choice on the self-study path. :)

After the A+, you might consider the Network+ and MCDST certifications... but no further, until you've built up some real-world IT experience. Start looking for a job as soon as possible - now, in fact. When you get the A+, add it to your CV and keep looking.

Again, welcome!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

What he said ^

Welcome to CF

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Hi and welcome to the forum. :biggrin

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  5. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

Welcome to CF! I'd agree with BM, Network+ would be the next logical step, I've found both the A+ and N+ good solid foundations to move onto higher level certs. :)

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  6. Robs12

Robs12 New Member

Cheers for the advice everyone, Network+ it is!

Certifications: BA(Hons) Music
    WIP: CompTIA A+
  7. skulkerboyo

skulkerboyo Megabyte Poster

Saw plenty of "post grad preferred" positions while I was looking. Get applying asap

Certifications: MCITP:SA, MCSA 03, MCSA 08, MCTS(680+648),A+,N+,ITILV3 Foundation, ITIL Intermediate: Operational Support and Analysis
    WIP: 70-417
  8. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Welcome to Cert Forums!

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5