Education Level??

Discussion in 'CIW Certifications' started by Heidihi, Jan 28, 2009.

1. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

No official chart exists that I know of, however if you see my old post here, I've put the MS certs under the relevant levels (I did miss the MCSA which is level 3). I've also put reference links at the bottom to show that they have come from educational establishment and not just my opinion.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  2. Kitkatninja

Yeah, very vague... Considering that the MCDST is a level 2 qual (and that comprises of 2 "MCP" exams).

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
  3. Heidihi

Heidihi Bit Poster

Thanks guys, CIW not on then-I guess i'll have to use a bit of creative licence then!
    Cheers for all your help
    x:super

Certifications: CIW Professional
    WIP: CIW Master: Web Site manager
  4. Kitkatninja

There's been a change.

CIW has been mapped by the SQA to level 7, which in turn maps to level 4/5 of the NQF.

Hope this helps :)

-Ken

5. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

Same level of NQF as MCSE then? Wow!

6. Kitkatninja

Well, yes, sort of... The CIW was mapped to the Scottish NQF (or the SQF). The map to the UK NQF (or QCA) is based on the mapping of the SQF to the NQF.

Another thing to consider, just because 2 things sit on the same level doesn't mean that both quals are equal, for example:

The HNC, HND and foundation degree. All 3 sit on the same level , but the HND & Foundation degree are both higher than the HNC.

The NVQ 3 and A level's. Both sit at level 3 of the NQF, but the NVQ 3 is worth at least (in some case more than) 2 A Levels.

-Ken

7. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

So, it's OK as a guide but it's not necesarily a definitive?

8. Heidihi

Heidihi Bit Poster

Wow they must have heard me asking!
    Thanks ken, thats a big help to me, I never though it would be degree level but its more difficult than I remember my A-levels being so that's a relief.
    Just had a quick scout around for a copy of an uptodate NQF or SCQF but can't find one-will try again tho-thanks mate
    xx

9. Kitkatninja

See here for the latest document, which includes the NQF. Just a quick reminder though:

That means NVQ level 4 maps to NQF levels 4-6, which in turns maps to HNC-BSc/BA level on the FHEQ and NVQ level 5 maps to NQF levels 7 & 8, that in turn maps to MSc/MA level on the FHEQ.

-Ken

10. Majic_Munky

Majic_Munky Bit Poster

I find it hard to believe that an honours degree is level 4.....

Certifications: BSc, A+, N+
    WIP: Lots!
  11. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Honours degrees are level 6, not that I really place much faith in the NQF, it seems pretty arbitary.

As ken said :-
    Unfortunately people are bound to use it to make just these types of sweeping comparisions which are then likely to be inaccurate or just plain wrong.

In addition companies will lobby to have their certs as high as possible, the CIW foundation should be pretty low in my mind. Maybe the other CIW qualifications should be higher, however again will people differentiate ? We don't know what CIW qual was placed at what level ?

12. Heidihi

Heidihi Bit Poster

Thats because it isn't, lol, indeed most of my info was incorrect :(

13. Heidihi

Heidihi Bit Poster

Thats because it isn't, lol, indeed most of my info was incorrect :(

14. Kitkatninja

The info was out of date, rather than incorrect flat out.

Pre-Jan 2006 there was only 5 levels of the NQF. The FHEQ individually mapped the different HE qualifications (Certs of HE all the way up to Doctorates), however until the NQF was ratified in 2006 the Cert of HE up to BSc(Hons) were equivalent to FE NQF level 4 and the Masters/Doctorate was equivalent to FE NQF level 5. Thankfully after the ratification of the NQF in 2006, they added more levels and separated the equivalence between the 2 systems.

The only recognised qualifications now that are still using the pre-Jan 2006 NQF are the NVQ's, hence why a NVQ 4 is equivalent to a degree, while another FE qual at level 4 isn't.

-Ken

FE = Further Education
    HE = Higher Education

15. Gav

Gav Kilobyte Poster

*ignore me*

16. Littlened

Littlened New Member

Can someone confirm, are the CIW courses on the NQF or not? One of the posts say it is while other posts say its not.

I've just completed a certificate in education, and really need a web course at level 3 on the nqf to be able to teach it.

17. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I don't think it is as CIW is quite pointless tbh. Web design companies are looking for people with portfolios and people who can code not people with CIW.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  18. Kitkatninja

No CIW has not been assessed against the NQF (this is the educational framework for England), however it has been assessed against the SQA (which is education level in Scotland).

Above is the reply from CIW (see previous post).

As scotish qualifications are accepted in England, and vice versa, I can't see a reason why you can't use the CIW material. However the educational institute you work at will have final say in the matter.

-ken

19. Littlened

Littlened New Member

That's the thing, I'm a developer already, and have been for the last 4 year working with my own company. I'd like to teach web development part time, but my with my teaching qualification I can really only teach a subject if I'm qualified to at least level 3 in it.