Edit.com

Discussion in 'A+' started by hoplex, Jan 18, 2005.

1. hoplex

hoplex Bit Poster

I still remember the early version of DOS where we used Edlin to edit our dos txt files. Then we had edit.com to which is user friendly. But if I'm not making a mistake I still remember that EDIT.COM needed Qbasic.exe to run. Can somebody shed me a light.

Certifications: A+; Network +
  2. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

I know edit.com was a basic program, not sure if it needed qbasic to run, i thought com files were pre compiled together with the needed librarys, because it always worked on boot disks and im not sure if qbasic.exe was present on the boot disk

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  3. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

id agree with you on that one phoenix. also, the fact that i dont have qbasic on this xp home machine yet edit.com seems to still be present also leads me to believe that it didnt require qbasic in order to run!

Fergal

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  4. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Hi Guys, from memory (and it was a long time ago :eek: ) edit.com was just a command tool that was part of DOS. QBASIC, I think, was a something different. If you check out on a win9x machine c:\windows\command that is where DOS works from.

HTH

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  5. hoplex

hoplex Bit Poster

It was using win 3.1 when Edit.com needed Qbasic.exe. It look's like it a question for programmers rather than Tech's.

http://www.computing.net/dos/wwwboard/forum/13954.html

Does anybody know the difference between com files and exe? Why do we boot to a com like Command.com and NTDETECT.COM ?

Certifications: A+; Network +
  6. punkboy101
    Honorary Member

punkboy101 Back from the wilderness

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: Nada