Ebay problem

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Raffaz, Mar 20, 2007.

1. Headache

Headache Gigabyte Poster

Sorry, guys. But what's the deal with AOL ? Not that I give a monkey's bollocks as such. But they must have done something really really bad to be hated like that. And I don't have a clue.

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Where do I begin? It's pretty widely known that AOL is just about the worst service provider out there. Just search Google for AOL Sucks and you'll have reading for months. AOL has been known for some absolutely horrible business practices:
    • Charging higher prices for inferior service
    • "Educating" users that "AOL is the Internet"
    • Previously made it very difficult for users to get to the "real" Internet, instead keeping users "captive" on their own internal pages to increase advertising and sales revenue
    • Loss of private user information
    • Selling private user information and e-mail addresses to mailing lists (ever wonder why you get spam to your AOL e-mail addresses you've never given out?)
    • Connectivity loss
    • Difficulty in cancelling service / badgering by "retention reps"
    • Billing for service for months after cancelling service
    • Double-billing, billing phone bills of non-customers, free trials that aren't free, and other deceptive billing practices
    • AOL ShopDirect shipping products and billing for them without authorization
    • Inability to download e-mails to an e-mail client on your own PC
    • Pop-ups using AOLMail
    • Connectivity software that attaches itself to your OS and shows up as a freaking network device
    • Connectivity software that installs additional software without disclosure, modifies browser preferences, toolbars, and icons
    • Blocking of ports and protocols, resulting in inability to use certain software, such as VPN software and 3rd party e-mail clients for off-AOL e-mail
    • Destruction/Dismantling of PlayNet and QuantumLink (OK, this is my own private beef with them... yes, I'm *extremely* old school, considering I was a member at both places)
    • Purchasing Compu$erve, then letting it rot (and I was a member here too)
    • Purchasing Imagination Network, then letting it rot (and I was a member here TOO!)
    • Purchasing Netscape, then letting it rot
    • Marketing by carpetbombing their CDs everywhere - in the computer store, in the grocery, in your mail every week, in your cereal boxes, in the post office, in the mall, in the newspaper, inside hardware boxes, inside software boxes, bundled inside application installations... holy mother of God, leave me alone, I don't want your service, and if I do (be sure to check me for brain damage), I'm pretty sure I know where to find you.

EscapeAOL.com
    NoMoreAOLCDs.com
    VocaLabs.com article
    TheRegister.co.uk: bad service from AOL, BT, NTL
    Consumerist: AOL retention manual revealed
    1.25M settlement over poor customer service
    AOL worst in customer service (not just ISPs... ALL businesses.)
    AOL releases search data, reveals identities of users
    Another link to AOL privacy concerns
    AOL sells data to mailing lists
    AOL Unauthorized Charges
    AOL Mail pop-up advertising
    AOL Embarrassed by CNBC Report on Biz Practices
    AOL ShopDirect - Unauthorized Charges
    Fraud charges in Florida
    PCWorld: AOL worst tech product of all time
    AOL installs unauthorized software
    Wiki entry

If you need more links, I can take another 5 minutes and get more for you. :blink

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

Aceoles Online....... Hmm where to start???

Lets keep it short as BBM already said most things.

I've been to lots of clients over the years that have had AOL trials. All they wanted was internet access that was free to test. And they came across an AOL disk. I know one guy had a disk that promised 999 hours of free online access or a months use! Now with my math i make 24 x 31 = 774 hours, theres no way you could have 999 hours access ina month so theres lie number one.

Most of these clients called because they had problems with thier pc, after installing the AOL disk. Most had tried to remove the software (AOL installs its own interface) an now had problems with Internet Explorer. Some had problems shutting down the PC others couldnt install new software. And in all cases it boiled down to AOL still hiding pieces of itself on the PC. ITs like Nortons, a bugger to get rid off unless you know where to look. It took over the PC, changed desktops and then hid itself so deep in the system you need a crowbar to get rid of it all.

Then i've had those who have had problems with AOL's service, like disconnection for now reason, loss of email, and restrictions on what sites they can view! None of which are ever mentioned on the CD. Having called the AOL tech line and been on hold for some hours, the cleints had eventually given in and called me! Thier after care service has a very bad rep!

Then, my own beef is a bit like BBMs. I was a member of Compuserve, at a time when the internet was just taking off. AOL bought them out and they just withered away. Compuserve was great, never had any prolems and i had a few friends on thier chat forums that i soon lost when AOL took over. The boards chnaged, peoples access was with held or restricted and then the pricing changed.

Now i never, ever pomote AOL to anyone who wants internet access. Why use it when there are so many more ISPs out there that are cheaper, more reliable, more helpful and less intrusive?

Rant over, short enough!

Certifications: Comptia A+, N+, MS 70-271, 70-272
    WIP: Being a BILB,
  4. Headache

Headache Gigabyte Poster

Well, after reading the last 2 posts by BBM and twizzle, I am pleased to announce that AOL is now my enemy.

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  5. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

I got ebay to do it for me, and they associated my account with a different email address incase they had compromised that, which would allow them to reset the new password. Strange thing is tho, they never changed any of my passwords.

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  6. Raffaz

I think the main problem with AOL is their software, it is a POS and causes nothing but problems. But if you dont use it then your fine. I got in touch with them a while back for my router settings, and IMAP settings for outlook and had no problems getting the info, they were fine about it. Ive been with them since 98 (i think) and never had any connectivity problems. I even got my price dropped when i was made redundant. I have thought about changing in the past, but ive got an uncapped connection thats never let me down, and there are loads of problems in the UK with switching at the moment, so why bother?:)

7. Raffaz