Ebay: Lesson 1.01

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Headache, May 21, 2007.

1. Headache

Headache Gigabyte Poster

Got burned today.

Ordered a 2620 router.

The advert did say it was untested and that all untested items were non-returnable. But I said to myself, okay, for a hundred quid can't go wrong, can I ? Take a chance, why not ?

Cut a long story short, the the router arrived today and would you believe it's as dead as a door nail ?

Rang up the seller, some cowboy outfit called Selectronics, and complained. The guy is like "Well, I did say it was untested, didn't I ? It's all down there in black and white, isn't it ? Sorry, mate, we don't test cisco products, because we don't have the expertise to test cisco products. Sorry pal, you can't have your money back."

Con job or what ?

Anyway, so now I'm out of pocket and p1ssed off big time.

Moral of the story ?

1. When bidding on Ebay, stay away from untested products.

2. Also stay away from Selectronics (Mods can delete this bit if they want, but I'm standing by it).

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  2. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

You should have searched for a user called "irp70" on ebay. I think I recommended him before on CF.

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  3. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Unlucky mate but that’s the risk you take on EBay.

Is there anything you can do to fix it? Perhaps take it to pieces and have a look around....

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Yep... I avoid all items that state "No returns accepted" or "Items are in unknown condition". I also avoid sellers who have anything less than a stellar rating... the eBay rating system is such that most people do NOT leave negative feedback even when they should do so due to fear of retaliatory feedback.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. clsyorkshire

clsyorkshire Bit Poster

Yes I've noticed that with feedback too.

Nowadays if I ever buy anything, the sellers always seem to wait for me to put feedback on first. I suspect if I put negative feedback on, they'd retaliate with negative feedback for me even if I don't deserve it.

I guess the only way around this would be to wait until the last possible moment - 90 days I think - to give some negative feedback and then hope the seller didn't have time to retaliate back.

Certifications: AS IT, AVCE IT
    WIP: A+
  6. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Bit of a grey area.

If you went to a retailer, the disclaimer 'we don't know if this works or not' on the box wouldn't stand up in court as we have lovely things such as the sale of goods act.

On the Interweb, things are a bit different. Even if they said 'all goods guaranteed to work' and they didn't, you would still be facing an impossible legal battle if their customer service wasn't up to much.

So, given the fact that they said that their goods were untested, I'd applaud their honesty and never buy anything from them again.

eBay isn't what it used to be - it is swamped with dodgy 'stores' looking to do easy business, rather than just normal people trying to get rid of unwanted items.

Which didn't work...

Oh, hang on...

8)

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  7. Amine

Amine Byte Poster

apart from books I dont touch ebay, far too dodgy for my liking.

WIP: Exchange
  8. Morne Louw

Morne Louw Byte Poster

it depends who you buy from another user i can recommend is arbico ltd or something like that they are good and they deliver quick.

Certifications: ECDL, OCN Level 2 HTML, A+,MCDST,70-270
    WIP: MCSA/MCSE