E Learning

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by iank, Oct 7, 2005.

1. iank

iank Bit Poster

What is everyones thoughts on E learning, there are loads of companies out there offering this kind of training and i have downloaded there demo's which seem really easy to follow, some even give phone support, and the prices are quite good, between £200.00 to around £1200 for a full MCSE

2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

It depend what you mean by e-learning.

Do you mean a CD with a load of stuff on it to read through? If so you may be better off buying a book for £30ish that comes with the book on CD.

Or do you mean training video's where by someone is showing you what to do?

There are a lot of companies who will claim to offer good e-learning products, but will charge you for them.

Sometimes all you really need is a good book.

Can you say who the company is that you're looking at?

3. iank

iank Bit Poster

I have been looking at affordable training

4. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

I've seem some good e-learning stuff, and it does seem cheap compared to 'distance learning'.
    I guess you have to look at what you get for your money. Basically in many cases you are paying for access to a website for a period of time. When you look at it like that, 1500.00 is a lot of money.
    Some provide you with online tutor support etc which certainly adds value.
    Check out the details. What do you do if you get stuck? Is the support phone number premium rate or overseas?
    How long do you have access to the material and are there any restrictions on when you can use it etc.
    Do you have a broadband account that allows you unlimited useage at any time of day?
    All things to consider before you decide on one.
    ElementK is good.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  5. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

I can't say that I've ever heard of these before.

I've just looked at their website though and clicked on their MCSA 2003 stuff, they seem to have four or five different options, Standard, foundation, messaging, security. When I click on each of them I seem to get the same page with no differences?

What I would recommend, based on the type of training that these guys seem to be offering is CBT Nuggets

HTH.

8)

6. iank

iank Bit Poster

You can get CBT Nuggets on Ebay for around £30.00. Is it possible to learn in this way?

7. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Yes it's very possible.

Affordable training seem to be offering a very simillar product, but I can't say how good it is. CBT Nuggets I have used before and recommend them.

:biggrin

8. Clyde

Clyde Megabyte Poster

bear in mind that the cbtnuggets product ought to include support. If you buy second hand off ebay, you don't get that. Having said that, nuggets are good and useful, (except for the DNS bit which is bass ackwards!)

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: MCITP