@DVENT TRAINING

Discussion in 'A+' started by spy22, Oct 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

We wouldn't even need to homebrew labs... those sort of labs exist in MSPress and Sybex books.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

If you guy's want to pay to learn we have this thing here called Premium Membership. Give us £20 and get a year's motivation to keep coming back here! :biggrin

3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

If I had a pound for everytime I have said " why don't you self study or get AIO by Mike myers and PC Technician streets Smarts by James Pyles " I wouldn't be in debt and I could get myself a new Beemer.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. BosonMichael

I've just got an automated script that posts it for me. :p heeheehee!

Actually... that's NOT such a bad idea... hmmm! :hhhmmm

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  5. asje1

asje1 Byte Poster

I have been thinking about this for a while today, and i truely think you guys (people who have passed MCSE and have a good level of experience) should have some form of mentor service for alot less than the TP price, but without the need to quuit your job or whatever, just basically gathering all the resources and materials together in a presentable manner etc then provide like a PM service even within this forum... I really think some people would sign up for this - maybe some of the money could be put back into the forum mods and admins for there efforts?:p

I guess it would have to be thought through of course, but its a heck of an idea - and of course free to setup.

8)

Certifications: A+, N+
  6. BosonMichael

In truth, we do provide it. Better yet, the advice and mentoring is free... just post, and look at all the mentoring you receive! :)

7. greenbrucelee

We could all be partners and work like a support team.

There could be 5 levels someone like me would level 1 (maybe 2) and someone like BosonMichael could be level 5.

8. BosonMichael

Know what Level 5 gets to do?

Administer the backside kicks. :twisted:

9. djbonnett

djbonnett Banned

Like all you folks keep saying, its down to the individual person on how they go about studying.

Remember A+ in only the first step for me, on saying that if I knew any of you folks could teach me SQL and provide me with practical workshops as well for a tenth of the cost! I certainly would not be using @dvent!

Chow for now:biggrin

Certifications: C.L.A.I.T.
    WIP: A+ and MCDBA
  10. greenbrucelee

Why do you meed a workshop?

Do you not own a PC at home?

I got a cheap one + Mike Meyers AIO 6th edition and PC Technician Street Smarts by James Pyles for 80 quid to study for my A+

11. djbonnett

djbonnett Banned

Let me think... have I a computer?
    I dont 'meed' a workshop as you put it but is very helpfull when starting from almost scratch.
    I am not blessed with the years of practical and reading experience that most of you seem to have.

I want the knowledge the fastest way possable 'for me' and still hold down a full time job that takes up 44 hours of my week.

You are a very opionated expert on a subject that you have not even qualified in.
    I don't mean to offend, as I'm sure you didn't mean to offend either.

Thanks xxx

12. greenbrucelee

I don't know who your post is meant for but we are only trying to help, I also do a 40 hour week job, I havent owned a pc for 10 years up untill last March.

Maybe a training provider is right for you but the fact is you are paying far too much when it could be done a hell of a lot cheaper.

13. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

He may be paying a lot of money, but for some people the fact that money is involved is a motivating factor to actually do the study and learn.

8)

14. greenbrucelee

I suppose so, I just think some of those prices are scandolous and buying a couple of books and reading them is a lot easier on the bank balance and mind.

15. BosonMichael

Why can't we? We've got two published authors, a practice exam writer, and several trainers on the forum...

16. spy22

spy22 Byte Poster

With a training provider its not all just about the 'expert advice' on the course material.

I personally have a full time job and have paid alot of money to commit myself to an MCSE programme. I havent just paid for the course materials, I have paid for support seven days a week (which I do know I get on here), all up to date course materials, a structured plan in my studies, but more importantly....

'career advice', CV help, as to where my TP is linked in with lots of companies who are looking for people like myself who are looking for entry level but also qualified personnel to start their careers!

On the other hand this is not required for some people but personally its what I need and have paid a service for.

There is an obvious divide on this subject and I think its a case that we agree to disagree on this topic and respect what the individual wants to do for whatever their personal reasons.

Thanks

Spy22:D

Certifications: Its who you know not what you know!!!
    WIP: CCNA?
  17. BosonMichael

...and we provide none of that on this forum, right? :D

18. djbonnett

djbonnett Banned

Spot on kid.
    Although I dont think they get it spy22, and I dont get how telling me I am being ripped off is supposed to be helpful either.
    I would rather pay for TP guidance that doesnt poke fun at me, than do it all by myself which obviously takes longer and is not recognised to employers as well I might add.

Q:Who here used a TP to pass their driving test?

A:Why have lessons when you can get all the info online ect ect, and just drive your Moms car for practice till you think you am ready!!!

PS:
    Those that never used a TP when learning to drive and passed their test -- Well done! But did you do it in 10 hours like me though?

Good debate folks!

19. greenbrucelee

Nobody is poking fun at you, people are just saying what can a TP give you that yourself can't?

Get a book, get some material (exam software etc)read it understand it take the test, there are videos out there on youtube so why pay for online learning or a course when you can get exactly the same results for a tenth of the price.

Of course you can do it the way you want people here are just trying to say it can be done cheaper and you can study on your chosen subject more indepth with no time limits etc.

I personally was about to go with a tp before I got advice on here, I had infact downloaded the demo software which I thought was quite good and well presented but I feel I have learned more by studying without someone telling me the answers to questions or eluding to them and having to push myself to get materials like books n stuff so I can get the answers myself.

And that is why now I would say self study is the way and I would also say its a good way to study as it makes you push yourself because no one is ringing the bell for class its upto yourself to do it.

20. BosonMichael

1) We're not poking fun at you... we're giving you an alternative. If you choose to ignore it, that's fine.

2) No, I didn't use a TP when learning to drive, and it took about an hour's worth of practice. It's not rocket science... should I have spent the money and extra time on a TP?