DVD wont play in DVD player or DVD drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by noelg24, Jan 5, 2005.

1. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Hi guys...I got a DVD writer for xmas from my mother and sister in laws which I was very happy about. yesterday I copied a movie (which I have had for 3years so dont start with the copyright thing!), after it finished copying, I first played it back in the DVD writer and it worked a treat! then I took it to play on my CDRW/DVD drive and it wouldnt play, took it to my DVD player and the same thing happened there! I would like to know why this is? Just so u know the drive I have is an ENlight 1624DWDL and the disc I used is a DVD-R. I was wondering if the format of the disc had anything to do with it? thanks guys. oh and happy new year...

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  2. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

Firstly, let me point out that commercial DVDs are encrypted for the most part, they are also generally on DVD9 disks, whereas the blanks you buy are DVD5s

so I'm not going to begin by asking you how you managed to copy it lol

howver i will clear some of your troubles
    almost ALL players can play DVD-Rs, these are the standard blank media, however some older standalone DVD players cannot, not many though, most can even play DVD+RWs and such now

the problem seems to be with your actual copying job, did you finalise the disk? what process did you use to copy the DVD, please go into more detail
    i'm well aware that this is not copyright infringement noel, however the picture is somewhat bigger than that now, you, as a consumer, have no rights to copy your DVD :)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  3. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Ok I used a program called CloneDVD from Elaborate Bytes, I used one disc and it just wasnt happening, after it copied it sat there for a long time (about ten min) and not finalising the disc, so I kept rebooting the PC (probably not a good thing!), by the 3rd time the disc was knackered. so I got the second one out and this time I thought I may aswell go from disc to disc, so put the DVD in the CDRW/DVD drive and the blank DVD in the DVD writer, and within 8 min voila it was done. but this time I used Intervideo DVD Copy and I played it back in the same drive and it worked fine. when I was using both Nero and CloneDVD both copied it but didnt finalise it as I mentioned earlier. so what should it do once it has copied the disc?

4. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

see your missing the point about decryption, cloneDVD wont decrypt a DVD as far as im aware (it is an encrypted disk i take it)

i use DVD decrypter to decrypt the DVD and create an ISO image file on my hard disk
    i then mount it with Daemon tools, and THEN point clone DVD at that 'drive' where the decrypted image is moutned, then it works fine

5. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

ah now we're talking. well I have DVD Decrypter...so I create an ISO image, can I use Nero to copy the ISO image aswell?

6. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

not quite
    see the ISO is still likley to be over 4.5GB (unless its a real old DVD that didnt require a DVD9)
    so you still need CloneDVD to take out the unneeded stuff (french sound tracks, chinese subtitles, etc) and then compress the video stream so that the movie will burn to a DVD5 (4.6GB or something) CloneDVD can handle this, or it can create an image file for nero to burn or something
    id try use cloneDVDs burn feature first (i too have had problems where it wouldnt finalise, but these problems will occur in nero just as often if you have dodgy disks, or burn at too high a speed for the media

remember the MEDIA is rated for a speed thats usually MUCH slower than that of the burner, burn at the MEDIAS max speed or slower, not the drives

ie dont burn the 4x disk at 16x just coz the burner can do that, thats what causes the problems with writing the lead out

7. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

got that...well the discs max speed is 8x and the programs recognise this without me having to tamper with it...but thanks mate...will give this a try and let u know what happens...oh one more thing...how can you convert AVI and MPEG files to DVD files (VOB, IFO, etc) and how long does this take? thanks again mate...

8. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

not sure
    as long as no special codecs are involved an mpeg shouldnt be too troublesome, as a DVD uses an MPEG stream

AVIs are generrally encoded into windows media, divx, xvid etc and that would be a tad more troublesome, there are probably some articles on doom9, it can get quite complicated though

9. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

yeah tell me about it...I tried to convert a DVD to AVI and my god what a torture!

10. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

dvd to avi is not so bad, as your encoding a raw stream of data
    its trying to then unencode it to get it back to a standard mpeg stream for the DVD that can be the challange, and once you do the quality is much lower than the original mpeg stream, as you have encoded it to save space more often than not

11. Pablo1888

Pablo1888 Byte Poster

I use a program called DVD Shrink (google for it) which is also freeware. It compresses your DVD allowing you to fit your original onto a DVD5. You can also take out subtitles, extras etc if need be. It produces an ISO file which I then burn using DVD Decrypter. In my experience the quality has been very good.

Certifications: MOUS Master, MCP 70-210, A+
    WIP: CCNA
  12. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

i have recently started using DVD Shrink, it basically does the same as CloneDVD with a little less functionality (CloneDVD is a purchasable item, DVD Shrink is free) but for the most part its fine, and if you have Nero DVD Shrink can even do the burning. my only problem with it was it took 2 hours for a movie the other day when i first installed it, and my DVD Decrypter/CloneDVD combo maybe takes 45 - 60 mins tops (thats with slow 4x media too)

13. Nelix
    Honorary Member

Nelix Gigabyte Poster

I use DVD shrink and just leave it running overnight when I need to do anything that is time consuming, did one the other night and it took 4 and a half hours but when your sleeping you dont really mind.

Certifications: A+, 70-210, 70-290, 70-291, 74-409, 70-410, 70-411, 70-337, 70-347
    WIP: 70-346
  14. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

I do have DVD shrink aswell...just been home and I have set the DVD decrypter to do its work and when I get home I will see what can be done...I will also use DVD Shrink...thanks guys...