Duplex house needs Internet connection.

Discussion in 'Internet, Connectivity and Communications' started by kobem, Mar 21, 2011.

1. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

GBL your point has been made on numerous occasions about Kobems qualifications, you really do not need to keep labouring the fact. The question was not about what certs the OP has got and the knowledge that he may or may not have.

If you or any or the other members can not or will not help in a more constructive way then I suggest you leave this post alone and move on.

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

we are trying AJ but he makes it impossible for us to help as he will not listen to advice that he does not like.

I will no longer help him then.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. kobem

kobem Megabyte Poster

Unfortunately, there are no lifts mate.

Certifications: CCNA
  4. Gav

Gav Kilobyte Poster

I wish... I have two APs to cover my three-bedroomed Victorian-era terraced house. I'm convinced there's some sort of lead lining within the chimney towards the rear, as all forms of radio signals just disappear around there.

The upside is, it did give me a very good excuse to buy a drum of Cat5e and cable the entire house :D

5. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

It could be down to lime which can affect it. My house was built in 1708 and the walls are full of lime, I also live in a valley. As a result I barely get a mobile signal let alone a wifi signal. Instead I use a 2m cat5e cable which I got for £2 from a place that makes cables of all types.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2011
    Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  6. steve_p1981

steve_p1981 Byte Poster

quoted from kobem:
    "i wasn't concerned with their compatibility. My curiousity was whether n router would adapt itself to the
    g laptops and cos possibility of performance decrease."

like i said as long as the router is running 2.4 then the g rated machine will still be able to use the information but it will not be as fast as an n rated card. My wife's dad has an n rated laptop and that gets around 300 mps but her brother has a g rated one and off the same router it gets around 100 - 130 mps. So your g rated machine will still take all the information but the card will bottle neck it as it can't accept as much information as fast as the n rated card ( but will still work fine). is this a clear enough explanation? all the router does is transmit the information it's up to the card to recieve it.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2011
    Certifications: A+ 220-701 and 220-702
    WIP: none at current but poss 70-680 soon
  7. kobem

kobem Megabyte Poster

hey mate, what you are explaining is valid if 802.11n router is supported with dual-band i think. Both 2.4 and 5 GHz
    i mean.

8. kobem

kobem Megabyte Poster

My wired modem broke down today.Its power LED. I had been making a research for about 4 months. Today i bought WAG120n wireless dsl modem/router. I set it up. Now, i can connect to the internet at the same time both wirelessly and wired when these laptops are too close to modem/router. However, our new home is a duplex one. I placed my wireless modem/router on top floor. I tried one of my laptops on top floor and the other at lower. Between two floors, there is a wooden stairs, when i go down that stairs and go further, signal decreased quickly. In addition, i lost Internet connection. My main concern was getting connected to the Internet from my room(at lower floor) while modem is placed on top floor. Right now, this failed.

In this case, where should i place that modem/router?

Last edited: Jul 13, 2011
  9. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Its hard to say as I can't see your house but just try moving it around the house and see if that works for you. Failing that get yourself some powerline adapters which work great and go over your electrical cables. Good luck

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  10. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

:oops:

:biggrin

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  11. steve_p1981

steve_p1981 Byte Poster

+1 or can't you get a unit (like a booster) to sit at the top of the stairs and retransmit the signal again so you aren't so far away from a decent source

Certifications: A+ 220-701 and 220-702
    WIP: none at current but poss 70-680 soon
  12. Apexes

Apexes Gigabyte Poster

Edited out, Bad me

Last edited: Jul 14, 2011
    Certifications: 70-243 MCTS: ConfigMgr 2012 | MCSE: Private Cloud
  13. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Careful...

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  14. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Well logically yiu should try and get the router to be more cental in the house thus giving a more even coverage with the wireless signal. Is it not possible to get it in the middle floor maybe? Sounds like you are going to need to extend wiring in some fasion to do this (telephone extension to allow the router in a different place?).

As has already been suggested though, powerline network adapters usually work well and is an easy way to extend your network.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  15. Apexes

Apexes Gigabyte Poster

:mrgreen:

</fun>

Certifications: 70-243 MCTS: ConfigMgr 2012 | MCSE: Private Cloud
  16. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Thats a negative mate. PM on its way...

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  17. DanFogler

DanFogler New Member

I believe you already bought a Wifi router, and are having problems with its signals getting weak at the ground floor, what you should do is get a range enhancer something like WRE54G you can plug it in at a location where you think the signals start breaking (the breaking point, something like between floors/stairs or close to stairs) this will enhance the range of your router to ground floor and you would be able to use it at your ground floor :). of course you can hire a Cisco service rep and get the work done faster as they will have devices to check where the problem is and survey the best location for the router :)

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 22, 2011