Duplex house needs Internet connection.

Discussion in 'Internet, Connectivity and Communications' started by kobem, Mar 21, 2011.

1. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

You should, if every office incorporated this information into it's design plans, our networks would be so much faster.

This is generally why hotel wi-fi units are in the roof spaces, or mounted next to the ceiling. They know that most people will be downloading only via their networks.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  2. Apexes

Apexes Gigabyte Poster

I c - perhaps i should re-structure my works wifi network, we currently have 6 access points scatterd around, BUT - they are all mounted near the ceilings, as you mentioned, and we aren't a hotel - this is bad - perhaps this is why my upload bandwidth is so poor?

I could probably make some small 1 meter high stands, made up from old stacked ISP CD's bound together with blue-tak which will sit on random desks around the office - that way i'll have the best of both radio waves for uploading, AND downloading as the height should be just about right for both

Certifications: 70-243 MCTS: ConfigMgr 2012 | MCSE: Private Cloud
  3. Fergal1982

That should be alright to be honest. Most offices spend more time downloading than uploading. But in any department where they spend more time uploading than downloading, then mounting it on the floor would be better.

That said, most of the time these people would be wired, which has it's own issues and considerations. So the wi-fi wouldn't be an issue.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
  4. Apexes

Apexes Gigabyte Poster

hmmmmm, i c.

Perhaps i'll install a stairlift as mentioned by Jonny, this should fix it

5. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Do you have lifts in your building?

Just thinking - best of both worlds.
    Install the access points in the lifts. That way, users can optimize their network usage by downloading things when the lifts are at the top floor and uploading when they are at the bottom.

You will of course need to station an employee in the foyer on each floor to keep an eye on the lifts. They could wave a flag or shout 'go' or something, just to let people know when to start downloading or uploading. That way there will be no confusion and your network will always work at optimum speed.

Technology is great. There's nothing you can't not do without it.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  6. Fergal1982

Ah but you see, that adds another issue. Most lifts have mirrors. Radio waves are notoriously vain, and you will find it difficult to get them to work at all with the mirrors in the lift.

The difficulties of network design, eh?

7. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

I was concerned about the doppler effect of radio waves bouncing off a moving mirror, but decided that this would be negligable compared to the benefits to be had. I hadn't considered your point though, interesting.

With hindsight, the biggest problem is going to be data pooling, like you get in a database. If for any reason all the lifts were at the top floor at the same time, the data is going to form a puddle on the ground floor until they get back down. If that happens, reception staff should be instructed not to let anyone open the front doors as it may risk memory leakage, especially on a windy day.

How long do you think untill we're told that we've been helpful enough...

8. Apexes

Apexes Gigabyte Poster

Ahh, i tried the access points in the lift, but as the power cable became snagged as the doors closed, it smashed the door through, the power transformer then fell straight through the lift roof and knocked the person stood in it unconscious.

However, i'm happy to say the routine worked with a laptop on a wireless 3G dongle - connected via VPN, and using ICS all on a serial port going sideways into the lift's firmware docking station. All with a user on each floor sending it up and down as requested

9. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Kobem 802.11n is backwards compatible with 802.11g and b so don't worry about it unless you live in a lead box or a big valley like I do. (that a big valley not a lead box) :)

Last edited: Mar 21, 2011
    Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  10. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

I think the 3 of you should take your routine to a nightclub where you can get paid for it. :biggrin

While entertaining, it's not really helping the OP.

How about we get :offtopic

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  11. steve_p1981

steve_p1981 Byte Poster

did this guy really get a CCNA? my dad knows how to install a wireless router/modem and he can only just add attachments to his email!

Certifications: A+ 220-701 and 220-702
    WIP: none at current but poss 70-680 soon
  12. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

ahahahahahah! Comedy gold, I tell ya!! :biggrin

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  13. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

It's OK - he's not reading them. :biggrin

Right, sorry. :oops:

Yes, back to what I said earlier. Plug and phone socket basically.
    If you really, really have to you can (fairly) easily put in a new phone socket - depending on how many you already have - but why go there?

14. greenbrucelee

Apparently he did but and I am sorry to say I am very skeptical of his claim.

15. Apexes

Apexes Gigabyte Poster

Agreed!

I think alot of what was posted before the nonsense :mrgreen: - is what he needed to know.

Any standard router Kobem and you should be fine..

16. kobem

kobem Megabyte Poster

i should suggest you to read my posts well until you see and see and see. Did i say something like i can not
    set it up. My concern was completely different.

Certifications: CCNA
  17. steve_p1981

steve_p1981 Byte Poster

i know this, but you are concerned about n and g compatibility and even studying the a+ you learn that they are compatible if you keep the n rated system on the same frequency as the g rated one (i.e 2.4) so i think my concern is valid. thanks.

Certifications: A+ 220-701 and 220-702
    WIP: none at current but poss 70-680 soon
  18. greenbrucelee

It certainly is.

19. kobem

kobem Megabyte Poster

i wasn't concerned with their compatibility. My curiousity was whether n router would adapt itself to the
    g laptops and cos possibility of performance decrease.

Certifications: CCNA
  20. greenbrucelee

you shouldn't be concerned because being CCNA certified you should know the answer.