Duplex house needs Internet connection.

Discussion in 'Internet, Connectivity and Communications' started by kobem, Mar 21, 2011.

1. kobem

kobem Megabyte Poster

We will be moving out in two months. New home is a duplex one. Thats why, i need a wireless device that will meet and fit my needs. Inside that duplex apartment, radio signals should be propagated vertically involving two flat room/floor (up/down) in order for 2 computers to receive Internet connection.

What should you suggest ?

Certifications: CCNA
  2. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Don't radio signals naturally travel along all planes? Why would you need a special router to do it?

Of course, you may encounter issues with anything between the floors providing interference. If it's for home use, could you not use a powerline switch?

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  3. Apexes

Apexes Gigabyte Poster

What's a duplex home?

If it's a bog standard two floor house, or even one floor, a standard router should do the trick - I've got an old linksys wireless router i've had for 5 years, and it quite happily serves upstairs and downstairs signal

Certifications: 70-243 MCTS: ConfigMgr 2012 | MCSE: Private Cloud
  4. gosh1976

gosh1976 Kilobyte Poster

are these floors made of something other than wood????

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCDST, CCENT, MCTS: Win 7 Configuring, CCNA
  5. kobem

kobem Megabyte Poster

i didn't mean special router. According to my research, Linksys WAG120N or WAG160N could be the one both
    providing Internet and sharing it among computers.

6. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

you dont need a special router in a house or a block of apartments. Just get one that is 802.11g and it will have a decent range for any apartment or house.

Kobem did you really pass the CCNA?

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  7. Apexes

Apexes Gigabyte Poster

Any decent branded router will work - if you just want it for wireless and for a few computers use, you aren't going to need anything special

8. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

ISPs in the UK usually provide them free of charge - to people with no networking certifications - when you set up an account.

You plug them in, and they just work.
    If you're really clever, you don't even need to use the installation CD.

:biggrin

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  9. greenbrucelee

my isp doesn't give you a cd. You have to be clever :D

10. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

My isp sent me a CD, but it was too big for the drive - muppets! :D

[​IMG]

NB:D

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  11. Apexes

Apexes Gigabyte Poster

lol class

12. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

The only thing my CD seemed to do was force the install of their own browser, which looked like something from playschool. Took me ages to get rid of the hateful thing.

No, it wasn't AOL...

13. greenbrucelee

lol

I used to be with AOL and that CD installed their own browser. THey kept on sending me how can we improve AOL questionnaires. The first few times I put get rid of that ****ing browser software because its ****e. THe time before I left AOL I just said DIE. :D

14. kobem

kobem Megabyte Poster

My laptop includes an internal 802.11g wireless adapter, whereas my netbook carries a 802.11n one.

If i make a decision on buying a 802.11n supported wireless router, may data throughput among computers
    decrease cos one of them is 802.11g?

In what kind of plan/house, it is highly possible to meet signal weaknesses caused by some internal or external
    factors?

15. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

I wouldn't worry too much about your laptop - sounds like it's ****ed.

Generally speaking, it would have to be a pretty big house or have solid stone walls before you really have to worry about losing signal strength. Just don't put your wireless router behind the fridge or anything daft.

Just go ahead and install it, and worry about any issues afterwards. Otherwise you're making up problems that don't exist just for the sake of it. And that isn't like you at all.

16. kobem

kobem Megabyte Poster

Well, installing the router on lower floor or the higher one is better?

17. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Radio waves are lighter than air, so they generally rise. That said, the amount of data transmitted on the wave can weigh it down, causing it to sink.

What I suppose I'm saying, is that it depends on if you are uploading or downloading a large amount of data. If it is the former, then you want the router below you (so the waves sink faster), if the latter, then you probably want to be below the router to speed up the transfer.

Or, if you aren't going all out on either, then it shouldn't matter either way.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  18. Apexes

Apexes Gigabyte Poster

I'm going to incorporate this into my responses to users at work :mrgreen:

19. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

Dont bother with the wag160 its got loads of bugs in it, my house is 200 years old and a bog standard router covers the whole house (no boast intended but it is larger than a normal UK home and the walls are brick). I would not worry about coverage unless you have a mansion then you should be good, just get a dg834 or a tried and tested one.

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  20. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

You're still going to have to connect it to your phone line.
    As you don't want miles of extension leads you are going to be limited to somewhere that has a phone point and a power supply near by.

Most houses only have a couple of these and so you really are going to limited in reality more so than you are in theory. That's why there is no point in worrying about it.

I don't want mine under my bed - it gives the room an eerie green glow and is probably giving me brain cancer. But it's either that or balanced half way up the stairs, which is no good either.

Having said that, and having read Fergal's post, I'm considering the stairs option. That would effectively resolve the issue of radio waves being lighter or heavier than air as they could use the stairs and hence improve my broadband speed. If it dropped off again, I could install a stair lift.

It feels a bit surreal trying to explain this...