DULPICATE NAMES ON THE NETWORK

Discussion in 'Networks' started by rufftongue, Feb 20, 2006.

1. rufftongue

rufftongue Bit Poster

hi,
    I am trying to configure a client machine to join my network but i can not browse my workgroups.secondly there is an error which state that there is a duplicate names on the network.please i need solutions now.
    thank you
    Enoch

Certifications: A+
    WIP: NETWORK+
  2. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

The first thing to do is run the network set-up wizard. This will do most of the work for you. You also need a different name for each workstation and then set up your file permissions.If you only want one central place then use the shared folder which appears in "My Computer".

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  3. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

First of all go to right click on my computer (assuming xp here) and choose properties, select the computer name tab, select change and rename your client, then restart.

Try joining the domain again.

If this doesn't help then you'll need to join a workgroup. Go to the same place (as above) and join a workgroup (name is not important). Restart (again :dry )

Try joining the domain again.

If this doesn't work let us know.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  4. rufftongue

rufftongue Bit Poster

THANKX GESS,I WILL JUST TRY THAT AND GIVE U THE FEED BACK...

Certifications: A+
    WIP: NETWORK+