Duel booting XP and Vista

Discussion in 'Software' started by Snoopie, Oct 19, 2007.

1. Snoopie

Snoopie New Member

Hello,

I just succesfully duel booted XP and vista. Everything is working fine but one thing.....Im not sure if this is normal but what it did was it sliced my 500gb hard drive into 2 partitions which allowed me to install Vista on one and XP on the other. Now the problem is Vista wont access any games on the xp drive like, steam, Quake wars, Starcraft. THOUGH I can run games booted from xp on the vista drive. For some reason when my friend installed Windows XP he made the mistake of making my xp drive E:\. So now since I installed vista it took the place of the C:\ and XP is on E:\ and it took an aditional 234gb from my E:\ drive. I dont know what to do im really confused, all I want to do is play DirectX10 games on vista without having to move them from my E:\ to my C:\ or installing them by booting in vista....

2. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

I'm sorry, but this post just struck my sense of humor, and I just can't help myself....

I guess the end result result of duel booting for you truly was dueling boots. :twisted: :biggrin:biggrin

And, yes, if you have programs installed under one partition, under one OS, those same programs are not available to the other OS. Windows has what is called a registry to keep track of everything in that installation. Each installation has one, and doesn't read or respond to the registry of the other installation. Ergo, what is installed under one OS is not installed under the other OS, unless you deliberately install it twice. One time under each of the OSs separately, for each OS you have installed.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  3. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Welcome to CF, I think you can find a way around this just do some google search. Hey it would help you on the learning curve as well:biggrin.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  4. ManicD

ManicD Byte Poster

ok, heres a solution you could try it might work, boot in vista, reinstall the game, but install it in the same folder same place as teh xp game, the writing over the xp files.

now this shoudl have put the registry data under vista but not duplicated the files,

though you might then not be able to boot under xp, its a trail and error thing

Certifications: MCSA, N+, A+(Tech), ECDL
    WIP: 70-294, 70-298
  5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Freddy's right - for the most part, programs installed in an OS are only available to that OS.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. Snoopie

Snoopie New Member

Thanks guys for replying! I guess Ill have to install it on both sides -_- blua lol. I will try to google it and find more info. Thanks again :)

7. asje1

asje1 Byte Poster

Quake wars any good? Carnt wait for starcraft 2 either! sorry bit off topic!

Certifications: A+, N+