Dual/Triple Bootcamps

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Spinal, Jul 18, 2011.

1. Spinal

Spinal New Member

Howdy,
    new member here!

I was wondering, has anyone tried the dual/triple certification bootcamps?

e.g/ CISSP+CEH+CHFI in 7 days (9:00-21:00)?

M.

2. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

I have to say that I haven't - but I would suspect that in order to get so much crammed into such a short period would require the ample use of braindumps.

Generally these certs take many months or years to obtain and I'm not really sure what benefits they have. I'm guessing you won't retain much after a few weeks.

You can take a 'crash course' in driving where you learn to drive in a weekend so you can pass the test. It doesn't actually make you a good driver in my opinion compared to someone who has been practicing for months.

I'm not a big fan of these 'get rich quick' schemes as you can probably tell. 8)

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  3. Spinal

Spinal New Member

While I agree as to your reasons for disliking them, I'd like to think that the 5-years of experience requirement in CISSP gets rid of the get-rich-quick type people...

The way I see it, I work for a consulting firm; for every day I spend reading a book, that's a day that I need to list as "bench time", which reflects negatively on me. If I'm on a bootcamp, or other training course, that gets listed as professional development, which in turn doesn't affect my billability target.

The CEH/CHFI exams are really quite light according to my colleagues, it's only the CISSP that worries me as I can't figure out how to make sure I've covered all the topics in my studying!

I'm using cccure to test myself... grumble... what I really need is a bit of self-confidence :p

Reason I was looking at the 3-in-1 type thing is that it would leave enough of my development budget intact to subscribe to the offensive security online course... which sounds like a lot more fun (and quite a bit more complex)...

M.

4. Monkeychops

Monkeychops Kilobyte Poster

Doing those 3 in 7 days could be interesting, I would say it depends on your background and the knowledge you already have.

I think 7 days could be pushing i for three, I did the CISSP on a 7 dayer and it was pretty full on (8/9am until 10pm everyday), so squeezing 2 more in there would be tricky although there will be a little overlap (but not much).

So I guess my advice is if you already have a lot of the knowledge and the background to support it then why not, as you say it's a quick way to get ticks in all the right boxes.

These things are designed for people already with the experience so wouldn't worry too much about the boot camp stigma.

I'd almost be inclined to say cramming all that content into 7 days is too big an ask even if they were planning to just brain dump teach you.

Will be doing the CEH in a few weeks so will be able to comment on that then and how much I think you could condense it down to.