dual boot

Discussion in 'Software' started by volume, Oct 17, 2009.

1. volume

volume Nibble Poster

Hey guys going to get Windows 7 today and I want to do a Dual Boot so I can boot either Windows 7 (x86) or Windows Media Centre (x32) and this will be the first time I have ever done a Dual Boot myself outside college and not on a Virtual Machine and suddenly forgot everything about it so I got some questions

I want to make all my files and applications avalibable to Windows XP and my 2nd O/S Windows 7 so I make a Logical Volume??

I feel kinda stupid asking this but I have never had to do this myself :P

Certifications: 70-722, 70-721, 70-621
    WIP: 70-720, 790, 791
  2. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Top Poster
    of the Month

Piece of slash, shrink your current C: partition to free up some unallocated space. Make sure its a decent size i.e. 40GB+. Make sure your bios is setup to boot from your DVD drive and install Win 7 onto the unallocated space, quick format it into NTFS and Win 7 will install. When its all done instead of going straight into windows it will give you two options, Windows 7 or Older Version of Windows (I think thats what it says).

Just be careful when it asks you where to install it you don't wipe your current OS.

Actually thinking about it, you probably won't have partition managing software so in that case do this:

1. Start the Win 7 DVD.
    2. After yo uhave selected your language and keyboard you get to a screen that says install, press Shift F10 to give you a command prompt
    3. Type diskpart
    4. Type List volume to show your hard drive/s
    5. Select the one you want to install Win7 on by typing Select Volume X X being the number its given i.e. 1
    6. Type Shrink This will free up half the free space on that volume, creating the unallocated space I was talking about above.
    7. Close the command window and carry on with the install using the now freed up unallocated space
    Jim

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs