Dual boot - Server 2008

Discussion in 'Software' started by Sparky, Sep 2, 2008.

1. bootmgr

bootmgr Bit Poster

If during XP loading it says :Inaccessible boot device, then the drivers for that device (usually the hardisk) is not found in XP. You can try to boot from the XP cd ,go into the recovery console,and type LISTSVC to display the critical drivers or drivers that are required to boot XP. You can then disable the pci.sys or other critical drivers. And then after the restart,XP will automatically load the drivers again. Maybe after the refresh/overwrite,the boot succeeds ,but i am not sure....Try it and let me know what happens :) I have run into this BSOD before and i disabled the IDE channel drivers(since my harddisk was IDE) and the boot succeeded,but in my case this BSOD was because i think the drivers were corrupted.
    As for the installation of XP, this must be done BEFORE installing vista.Although i do not have any experience with servers,the server 2008 must be installed AFTER Vista because Vista is older than server 2008.This should be easy... 1st XP,2nd Vista,3rd Server2008.

Good luck :D

2. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

Just seen this. Ive done a triple boot a few times and ive done a server 2008 one aswell. As long as you install the oldest OS first and work through to the newest you shouldnt have any problems.

As for the PCI.SYS error, i had that happen to me a while back. IIRC all i done was installed XP with the bare minimum components installed in the pc and then i added the components back after installation.

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  3. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

The PCI.sys error was a hassle. It would blue screen on ‘Starting Windows’ so I didn’t get to the point where I could pick installation options.

In the end I installed Vista Ultimate as the main OS which is hosting all Windows OSs from NT onwards on virtual PCs. I need this for work as we sometimes need to support old applications that are still running on Windows 98. :eek:

The second OS is Server 2008 Enterprise which is going to be a member server of my Server 2008 test domain. I’m getting one of the servers from work (Dell with Xeon processor) and that is going to be the physical DC with my PC as a member server running hyper-v, that’s the plan anyways!

Oh, the games worked on Vista after all! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  4. Parker

Parker Bit Poster

Guys,

I have attempted a triple boot XP - Vista - Server 2008, on seperate partitions, but once 2008 Enterprise was installed, the boot menu disappeared and boots straight into that os. This was working dual boot with XP & Vista. I'm guessign the bootloader has been overwritten? :blink

Kristof

Certifications: ECDL, A+, MCDST, 70-270
    WIP: MCSA 2008
  5. supernova

supernova Gigabyte Poster

I have done it with XP, 2003, Linux I used a third-party boot manager bootmagic (although could have used GRUB). I actually prefer a separate boot manager than ntldr/boot.ini anyway, also makes it easier to get around restrictions.

Certifications: Loads
    WIP: Lots
  6. Darkfunnyguy

Darkfunnyguy Byte Poster

Boot in and install in order first with XP then Vista then 2008 I presume.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2003
    WIP: Server+, Vista,