DSL signal on voyager 205 no DSL on Home Hub

Discussion in 'Networks' started by some call me Tim, Dec 4, 2008.

1. some call me Tim

some call me Tim New Member

Hello All

Im appealing for help, I have just bought a Home Hub of eBay (why didnt i read its reviews first!!!!!!!!!) and am having trouble getting it to work. I have a Voyager 205 modem/router at present, which can see the DSL and works fine. However when I plug in the home hub the broadband light does not light up. I took it to a friends last night who also has a home hub and plugged it in there to make sure it worked. It worked fine at his house the broadband light came up after initialisation, I even tried switching the power supply as I have heard that can affect it but both were ok. I have tried plugging in to the master socket but still no joy. I can assume that any config is ok or not needed because it recognised the DSL signal at my mates house. So i am at a bit of a lose. Any ideas, or similar issues out there. Any help would be greatly appreciated, I hate having new hardware i can’t use (even though it sounds as if all of u hate it here)

Thanks in advance

Cheers

Tim

2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

I've got a Home Hub, does the job for me. :biggrin

not sure what the problem could be. When you tried using it at you mates did you actually use it to browse the web?

3. some call me Tim

I didnt actually surf the web on it I couldnt be bothered to do all the config, I dont think that matters though as I cant use the router at all till it has a DSL signal and if it picks it up there why wont it pick it up at my house even though I can prove there is a working DSL connection.

4. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Sounds like a config issue to me. Log in via ethernet and investigate.

Simon

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  5. some call me Tim

yeah i thought so to, I have had a look but the only thing i can think of is the username and password, I have entered in the same user name and password as is on the 205 router but nothing. I not entirly confinced though because it has worked (picked up DSL) at another location with the same config.

6. Boycie
    Honorary Member

I am not familar with the hub, although you don't say if it worked correctly at your friends home. Perhaps the account has been locked due to a number of attempts being made to sync up? Contact your ISP and check the credentials with them. Then, enter the config at your home with nothing connected bar the hub and re-try.

Simon

7. some call me Tim

it did work at my friends as far as picking up the DSL goes, I dont think the line is blocked it still works with the voyager 205 router.

8. Boycie
    Honorary Member

If it worked correctly at your friends, and the device you were using still works at your house, then you must assume the unit does work and the config is wrong. Check the settings carefully. Things like PPPOE instead of OA (or visa versa) are easily missed!

Simon

9. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

you will need to reset it as you don't set password or user information on a homehub, press the wireless button on the back for 5 to 20 seconds(you should hear a click).

are you with bt for your broadband?

Certifications: MCDST|FtOCC
    WIP: MCSA(70-270|70-290|70-291)
  10. some call me Tim

i have tried resting it a couple of times, it does reset goes through turning on all the lights and all that but still no diferent, my ISP is BT.